•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 (and others) Overheating Damage/ Motherboard Failure

THEY NAMED IT THE (DV) SERIES....MY GUESS IS THEY NEW ABOUT THE VIDEO
    ISSUE AND NAMING IT THE (D.V) SERIES. WAS FOR A GOOD LAUGH,,

I MEAN COME ON D-EAD TELL ME THEY DIDENT NO......
    V-IDEO

I HAVE 3 OF THE DV SERIES LAPTOPS AND ALL 3 HAVE (D.V)....
    WITH ANY LUCK IT WILL GO TO COURT AND WE WILL HAVE A GOOD LAUGH AT THEM

Comment

• Mr Random Tech

I own a used HP DV9000 laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. This specific model came out in 2009 and I bought from a co-worker so it doesn't have any kind of warranty. Last Friday it locked up and overheated.
      -----
      [Note: In 2012 I worked as a help desk agent for a third party tech support company that handled the out of warranty department for HP. I left that job in the beginning of 2013 to pursue a programming job that pays much better.

I am a highly trained computer tech with more than 13 years of experience working on laptops and desktops. Unless you've hit your computer with a hammer, set it on fire, or dropped it in water, I can fix it. ]
      -----

I want to share my thoughts on this overheating problem that I've dealt with from both sides.

LESSON ONE: "CAVEAT EMPTOR" IS LATIN FOR "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".

Let go of any sense of entitlement that you may have. You're only going to waste your time and make yourself miserable. How you feel doesn't matter. Get over yourself and remember you're not special. Consider the simple fact that HP is a world wide company in over 30 countries. They make billions of dollars every year. Just because you spent a few hundred dollars on a laptop doesn't matter to them. Especially if you haven't bought anything from them in the last 5 years. They are still making money without you.

To get any support you must have a valid warranty in writing that specifically covers your issue. If your computer was bought 2nd hand (like mine) or is out of warranty than you're out of luck. Even then, there is no guarantee the hardware techs can fix your issues. When wires melt or chips burn the laptop is dead. Suck it up and buy a new one.

LESSON TWO: COMPUTER COMPANIES LIKE HP ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY.

Forget that crazy idea about getting a new replacement laptop. This is not the 1980's and you're not dealing with toasters. They will spend months and well over the cost of your individual laptop in terms of man hours trying to repair it instead of just giving you a replacement.

No computer company in their right mind would ever replace a broken laptop with a new one even if it was a defective design.

If any computer company did that they would go out of business in 6 months because people would start finding ways of breaking their computers on purpose to get a new free laptop. I've seen people do this with my own eyes.

There's no way for HP or any other computer company to prove that you didn't break it yourself. As they use to say on the TV Show House, "Everybody Lies". So they won't ever replace a broken or overheating laptop.

Don't blame the computer companies on this one. Blame those individuals who always try to game the system and get something for nothing. They have ruined it for the rest of us.

LESSON THREE: NOTHING IS PERFECT. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.

Most end users (yes I mean you) don't have a good understand of how basic physics works. Just realize that machines wear down over time and eventually break. There is no way to make a computer or any other machine work perfectly and never have problems.

It's basic high-school physics. When you heat and cool metal repeatedly and it will eventually break. Just like how your light bulbs pop when you least expect it. No one sues the light bulb companies and claims that they were ripped off.

Inside laptops their are very tiny metal wires and circuits in a very small space. When electricity passes through the system it heats up. Sooner or later that laptop is going to die. The average life span of a laptop is actually 2 years. Once your warranty expires you cannot get another one. If your problems, like this overheating problem, started while you were under warranty but you didn't call them until after your warranty ran out then you're out of luck. Use it or lose it.

A warranty is like a ticking time bomb. Once the count down reaches zero your done. This is real life not a video game there is no "do over" or "reset button" just because your computer broke and you got your little feelings hurt over it. Grow up and face the harsh reality that no one cares about your problems. Especially massive multinational corporations.

Next time you buy a laptop regardless of brand name just keep in mind all those parts inside it (motherboard, ram, video, audio, network, hard drive) come from the same handful of companies. Plan ahead for the system to have issues or die on you. Back up your files everyday.

LESSON FOUR: GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER

As I said, I can usually fix anything wrong with computers. When my HP DV9000 laptop overheated just once last week I shut it down, pulled the battery and waited 30 minutes for it to cool down. Then I put the battery back in and turned it back on, one more time. I used a USB flash drive to back up all my important files. This took me about 5 minutes.

Then I turned off my laptop got on my desktop and started looking online for a new laptop. (I'm thinking of buying an Apple this time)

As you can see I didn't waste my time getting upset, blaming anyone or throwing a fit like a 5 year old. I know from years of experience that when a laptop overheats just once it's done. So I've put my laptop aside and I'll sell it for parts later. I know the ram and hard drive are still good. I might get about $60.00 total for those parts. That's all my circa 2009 laptop is worth.

I have no illusions of trying to get something for nothing. I'm not going to waste my time trying to sue anyone which honestly comes across like a little kid running to tell daddy they didn't get their way. Grow up and stop expecting something for nothing or trying to play emotional manipulation games to get your way. All techs are trained in how to deal with people who pay these kinds of games. It rolls off techs like water off a freshly waxed car. Techs get paid to deal with jerks all day long, all calls are recorded, and they don't care how you feel. Techs have a script and polices they have to follow or they get fired.

I know many people say that a company should "stand behind their product". Which is another way of saying,"I'm broke under-educated and delusional about how important I think my little problems are." This is not the 1950's and you're not buying a Chevy. Cars and computers are nothing alike.

Warranties are the only way that computer companies will ever stand behind their products. It's your responsibility to read the limited warranty that comes with your computer. Before you buy a laptop you should know how long the warranty is for and what it actually covers.

For those poor under-educated people that don't have the money to go out and buy a new laptop. Keep in mind that working in tech support only pays between $10 - $15 an hour. Few techs have an extra $1,500.00 laying around to buy a new laptop themselves. They spend 8 hours a day listening to people who have no clue how computers actually work complain and cry about their problems. It's not a fun job.

Those same average users only use their computers for email, web surfing, and paying bills. My suggestion is to stop whining about your broken laptop and do something constructive. Go get more education in a field that is in-demand first. Then get a higher paying job and make more money. (Oh and If you're an old bored house wife and your husband won't buy you a new laptop. Stop your belly aching and go get a job that pays you money.)

After that a laptop won't seem so expensive. That's why I switched professions to programming. I get paid more money, I actually get respect for what I do, and I don't deal with hostile end users.

If you take the time to learn how computers actually work verses how you "feel" they should work then you'll understand the limits of what's possible. Your time is more valuable than the money you're trying to save by whining or suing. It's a fact that 98% of all suits against big computer companies fail simply because they have better high-priced lawyers. (Don't take my word for it. Just look it up on Google.)

MORAL OF THE STORY: Laptops are just an imperfect electronic product like any other. Don't get attached to it like it's your friend or a pet. When your laptop dies get over it and go buy a new one.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi, I am sorry to hear that there are a lot of people out there like myself have been ripped of by hp, we also bought hp pavilion dv 9000, and yes graphics card has gone wrong and computer shop said they can repair it but cannot guarantee how long it will last and have six in the back of there shop with exactly the same problem.I rang hp support an yes don't want to know saying that there isn't a common problem with the graphics card.I do not believe that this company should get away with treating people this way, But it seems like they are, And why?.hp you should be ashamed of yourself, and I hope something will be done to stop people like you ripping of the small people who cannot afford to be ripped of in this way.

Comment

• Unregistered

Stumbled upon this just in time luckly almost bought a hp, glad I got toshiba instead

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Stumbled upon this just in time luckly almost bought a hp, glad I got toshiba instead
            I switched to Lenova for general use. My son prefers Alienware for gaming though. It is a Dell brand with what Dells' aspire to be. He builds gaming desktops so they are moot.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• dorene81
              • Feb 2014

I had the same problem execpt i was on my laptop and it actually started smoking now i have a paper weight and hp is not trying to do anything i have been trying to get some help for the past 2,3 years now.

Comment

• Unregistered

My DV9700 has died too.

In the EU the law states a minimum of 2 year warranty on any electrical items bought at retail.. in the UK we have the sale of goods act which states that for 6 years, yes, you read that right, we have legal recourse against a seller if something is wrong.

Sale of goods act states that items must be fit for purpose, be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable amount of time.

The test of "reasonable" is what an average person would expect.

So, buying a ??£1000 laptop and it only lasts 18 months is not reasonable and therefore you would likely have recourse under the sale of goods act.

You have additional rights if an item fails within 6 months and this is known as reverse burden of proof. An item is deemed to have been faulty at sale if it fails within 6 months unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

Know your rights, don't just listen to what people think or what they tell you.. check

Comment

• Unregistered

If my computer's motherboard has died, is there any way to retrieve the information and or hook it up to a secondary computer?

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Mr Random Tech
                    I own a used HP DV9000 laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. This specific model came out in 2009 and I bought from a co-worker so it doesn't have any kind of warranty. Last Friday it locked up and overheated.
                    -----
                    [Note: In 2012 I worked as a help desk agent for a third party tech support company that handled the out of warranty department for HP. I left that job in the beginning of 2013 to pursue a programming job that pays much better.

I am a highly trained computer tech with more than 13 years of experience working on laptops and desktops. Unless you've hit your computer with a hammer, set it on fire, or dropped it in water, I can fix it. ]
                    -----

I want to share my thoughts on this overheating problem that I've dealt with from both sides.

LESSON ONE: "CAVEAT EMPTOR" IS LATIN FOR "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".

Let go of any sense of entitlement that you may have. You're only going to waste your time and make yourself miserable. How you feel doesn't matter. Get over yourself and remember you're not special. Consider the simple fact that HP is a world wide company in over 30 countries. They make billions of dollars every year. Just because you spent a few hundred dollars on a laptop doesn't matter to them. Especially if you haven't bought anything from them in the last 5 years. They are still making money without you.

To get any support you must have a valid warranty in writing that specifically covers your issue. If your computer was bought 2nd hand (like mine) or is out of warranty than you're out of luck. Even then, there is no guarantee the hardware techs can fix your issues. When wires melt or chips burn the laptop is dead. Suck it up and buy a new one.

LESSON TWO: COMPUTER COMPANIES LIKE HP ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY.

Forget that crazy idea about getting a new replacement laptop. This is not the 1980's and you're not dealing with toasters. They will spend months and well over the cost of your individual laptop in terms of man hours trying to repair it instead of just giving you a replacement.

No computer company in their right mind would ever replace a broken laptop with a new one even if it was a defective design.

If any computer company did that they would go out of business in 6 months because people would start finding ways of breaking their computers on purpose to get a new free laptop. I've seen people do this with my own eyes.

There's no way for HP or any other computer company to prove that you didn't break it yourself. As they use to say on the TV Show House, "Everybody Lies". So they won't ever replace a broken or overheating laptop.

Don't blame the computer companies on this one. Blame those individuals who always try to game the system and get something for nothing. They have ruined it for the rest of us.

LESSON THREE: NOTHING IS PERFECT. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.

Most end users (yes I mean you) don't have a good understand of how basic physics works. Just realize that machines wear down over time and eventually break. There is no way to make a computer or any other machine work perfectly and never have problems.

It's basic high-school physics. When you heat and cool metal repeatedly and it will eventually break. Just like how your light bulbs pop when you least expect it. No one sues the light bulb companies and claims that they were ripped off.

Inside laptops their are very tiny metal wires and circuits in a very small space. When electricity passes through the system it heats up. Sooner or later that laptop is going to die. The average life span of a laptop is actually 2 years. Once your warranty expires you cannot get another one. If your problems, like this overheating problem, started while you were under warranty but you didn't call them until after your warranty ran out then you're out of luck. Use it or lose it.

A warranty is like a ticking time bomb. Once the count down reaches zero your done. This is real life not a video game there is no "do over" or "reset button" just because your computer broke and you got your little feelings hurt over it. Grow up and face the harsh reality that no one cares about your problems. Especially massive multinational corporations.

Next time you buy a laptop regardless of brand name just keep in mind all those parts inside it (motherboard, ram, video, audio, network, hard drive) come from the same handful of companies. Plan ahead for the system to have issues or die on you. Back up your files everyday.

LESSON FOUR: GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER

As I said, I can usually fix anything wrong with computers. When my HP DV9000 laptop overheated just once last week I shut it down, pulled the battery and waited 30 minutes for it to cool down. Then I put the battery back in and turned it back on, one more time. I used a USB flash drive to back up all my important files. This took me about 5 minutes.

Then I turned off my laptop got on my desktop and started looking online for a new laptop. (I'm thinking of buying an Apple this time)

As you can see I didn't waste my time getting upset, blaming anyone or throwing a fit like a 5 year old. I know from years of experience that when a laptop overheats just once it's done. So I've put my laptop aside and I'll sell it for parts later. I know the ram and hard drive are still good. I might get about $60.00 total for those parts. That's all my circa 2009 laptop is worth.

I have no illusions of trying to get something for nothing. I'm not going to waste my time trying to sue anyone which honestly comes across like a little kid running to tell daddy they didn't get their way. Grow up and stop expecting something for nothing or trying to play emotional manipulation games to get your way. All techs are trained in how to deal with people who pay these kinds of games. It rolls off techs like water off a freshly waxed car. Techs get paid to deal with jerks all day long, all calls are recorded, and they don't care how you feel. Techs have a script and polices they have to follow or they get fired.

I know many people say that a company should "stand behind their product". Which is another way of saying,"I'm broke under-educated and delusional about how important I think my little problems are." This is not the 1950's and you're not buying a Chevy. Cars and computers are nothing alike.

Warranties are the only way that computer companies will ever stand behind their products. It's your responsibility to read the limited warranty that comes with your computer. Before you buy a laptop you should know how long the warranty is for and what it actually covers.

For those poor under-educated people that don't have the money to go out and buy a new laptop. Keep in mind that working in tech support only pays between $10 - $15 an hour. Few techs have an extra $1,500.00 laying around to buy a new laptop themselves. They spend 8 hours a day listening to people who have no clue how computers actually work complain and cry about their problems. It's not a fun job.

Those same average users only use their computers for email, web surfing, and paying bills. My suggestion is to stop whining about your broken laptop and do something constructive. Go get more education in a field that is in-demand first. Then get a higher paying job and make more money. (Oh and If you're an old bored house wife and your husband won't buy you a new laptop. Stop your belly aching and go get a job that pays you money.)

After that a laptop won't seem so expensive. That's why I switched professions to programming. I get paid more money, I actually get respect for what I do, and I don't deal with hostile end users.

If you take the time to learn how computers actually work verses how you "feel" they should work then you'll understand the limits of what's possible. Your time is more valuable than the money you're trying to save by whining or suing. It's a fact that 98% of all suits against big computer companies fail simply because they have better high-priced lawyers. (Don't take my word for it. Just look it up on Google.)

MORAL OF THE STORY: Laptops are just an imperfect electronic product like any other. Don't get attached to it like it's your friend or a pet. When your laptop dies get over it and go buy a new one.
                    If my computer's motherboard has died, is there any way to retrieve the information and or hook it up to a secondary computer?

Comment

• Wenton

I sold mine.

Are they still making computers?
                      Why have over 200,000 people viewed this discussion?

That's crazy!

Comment

• smnb

I had mine for 8 years. And it died last week.

I guess that would be too long to complain now right? Or not?

Comment

• rajj

Yes that is way TOO long. Be thankful you had it that long.

You don't think you can hold them liable NOW do you?

You cannot.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by smnb
                            I had mine for 8 years. And it died last week.

I guess that would be too long to complain now right? Or not?
                            hmmm I had the same question, mine just burned out after 12 years???
                            No chance for me?

Comment

• Wenton2
                              Top Level Member
                              ☆☆☆☆☆☆
                              • Sep 2016
                              • United States

I've frankly never heard of somebody keeping the same computer for 12 years, it's amazing even the software still works let alone the hardware. No you are not eligible for a refund even if the computer did have problems of the type described above. It is too late at this point.

Comment

• Unregistered

I had mine for 8 years and it died last week. I guess they weren't all bad!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...