Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BANKRUPTCY and DEBT COLLECTIONS > Debt Collection

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #11
Unregistered

Default Re: Unpaid bank loan and credit card debt in Singapore

Just FYI
He posted last year it appears, and may not be back reading this now for a while.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
Unregistered

Or... maybe he couldn't go thru immigration and now in jail.

I would love to know if anyone can share their experiences. I think it is a civil matter rather than a criminal one. However, the banks may file a civil lawsuit for you and you might be summoned to court. When you can't attend court, that becomes criminal I guess and would get you on Singapore no-fly list. So, when you travel to Singapore or even transit thru Singapore, they may red flag you and detain you until the matter is resolved.

So, better not visit Singapore if you have any outstanding balance owing to banks.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Unregistered

Do not enter or even transit in SG if you have unpaid debts of at least 10k.
This is because the creditors would’ve already filed you for bankruptcy and filed an arrest warrant when you didn’t attend any court hearing and when the OA couldn’t locate you. So ICA would have your record even if you change passport numbers as I believe they check by full name and DOB. So avoid stepping foot in SG at all costs if you’re in a similar situation.
Just stay out for good and be thankful that the creditors did not get overseas debt collectors to locate you (or maybe not yet).
Nobody will have a firm answer to this thread as anyone who tried going back to SG would’ve been arrested somehow, and the rest of the population would not even risk it. Pick the latter.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
Unregistered

Hi everyone. I have a friend who left Singapore back in 2015 and owes $12k in one of the big banks and still able to enter Singapore easily, a few times actually. My friend was just here last November.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone. I have a friend who left Singapore back in 2015 and owes $12k in one of the big banks and still able to enter Singapore easily, a few times actually. My friend was just here last November.
Really? That’s good to know So he didn’t still pay the outstanding credit?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #16
Rence Shaw

So if I owe the bank less than 10K SGD, it is safe to enter SG?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #17
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Has he been declared bankrupt?
I’m in a similar situation and I’ve been declared bankrupt. I have never attend any court hearings and I also never contact my OA before.
Wondering if I can still enter SG without being arrested at customs...

Old 04-06-2018, 02:22 AM   #18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence Shaw View Post
So if I owe the bank less than 10K SGD, it is safe to enter SG?
If you owe example 9k++, the bank interests and late fees would keep adding up till more than 10k. Then in this case they can file for bankruptcy.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
Unregistered

I know of several guys that have maxed out up to 10 credit cards for 50k + and did a runner years ago. They regularly go back to Singapore for a shopping weekend. No problems at all, no questions by ICA.

Please note that SG credit debt expires after six years. So your only issue may be SG Government since you did not show up in court. This does not seem to happen.

Not sure I have to balls to do that, but they do. Maybe we overthink this issue and the SG government categorizes this as the risks of uncovered lending by Banks.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:22 AM   #20
Unregistered

There is no issue returning to SG as a visitor when you have unpaid debts.