Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Attorneys and Legal Ethics

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
msno3

Default I signed (under protest) a settlement

Hi all, I am hoping someone will help me find an answer. I signed (under protest) a settlement and sent it to my attorney. The "protest" was that I believe my attys acted on their behalf and not mine. This protest has nothing to do with the other party (big company). Now my atty is saying he will not submit it because of this statement. I was under the impression that he had to submit it anyway. After all, why would the big company care if I am unhappy with my attys, they are settling for a lot less than if I continued to pursue. Does my attorney have to submit the papers if I want him to submit them with the statement? Please, I am not sure where else to turn. Thanks for your help!
msno3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: I signed (under protest) a settlement

He does yes but it normally means you don't agree and he has to continue or resign.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
Unregistered

Question Re: I signed (under protest) a settlement

OK but what if you are signing a settlement with more people in one case? I had to settle because I was with others. I feel coerced so I want to sign my settlement under protest. Will that cause our attorney's to do the same?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
LJJ

Default Re: I signed (under protest) a settlement

When you sign you are obligated.

You can try to sue the persons involved if they seriously lied or misled or deceived you somehow, otherwise you are bound normally. Unfortunately.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msno3 View Post
Hi all, I am hoping someone will help me find an answer. I signed (under protest) a settlement and sent it to my attorney. The "protest" was that I believe my attys acted on their behalf and not mine.
What's this all about anyway?

So why did you sign it if you didn't want to? If your attorneys were not acting in your best interest, as you say, then you should have gotten rid of them and hired someone else.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Unregistered

Adding "under protest" doesn't really do much for you in this type of situation.

And the lawyer is not required to submit it with that statement attached.

If you don't want to sign something then don't sign it.
Then you have to negotiate what it is that you do want to sign.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head, presumably.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
Unregistered

It can muddy the waters as a legal matter. There is a lot of case law on the issue.
But no attorney is going to pass over a document signed by his client that says it was signed under protest.

Either you sign it or you don't.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this regard you could not compel the attorney to file papers, only thing you can do is to entrust the case to another attorney.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Iknowlaw
Iknowlaw's Flag is: United States

You should review the contract you have with your attorney. How much "power" does your attorney have via your contract.

Depending on the terms, you could possible persuade your attorney to submit if there is a possible breach of contract with you.
Iknowlaw is offline   Reply With Quote