Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
tiffnmena

Default weed eating/grass trimming on neighbors side of fence

I put up a 6 foot polyvinyl privacy fence 2-3 months ago. The neighbors on each side of my house have lawn services that trim there yard right up to the fence. The backyard neighbor came to my house and insisted that the overgrown grass on his side of the yard against my fence is my responsibility. He wants me to come into his yard and trim this area on a regular basis. When the fence was installed I had a permit from the city. The fencing company used a survey and installed the fence 2-4 inches inside my property. So I guess technically there may be 1-3 inches outside the fence that are still my property. I called city code and they told me I'd be trespassing if I entered the neighbors yard and there is no violation if the grass against the fence is not trimmed. Who should trim the grass against the neighbors side of the fence?

Thanks
tiffnmena is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: weed eating/grass trimming on neighbors side of fence

I wish to inform you that if grass is grown on your side of the property then you may have to get it trimmed. However, you can enter your neighbor's property only with the permission of the neighbor and trim the grass at the edge of the property on your side across the fence. You may request the neighbor for an amicable resolution of the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I suggest you buy a weed whacker and a step ladder.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
gail in georgia
Top Level Member

So what is your neighbor going to do if you don't trim "his" side of the fence? Sue you for overgrown grass?

What nonsense. I'd ignore this demand.

Gail
gail in georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffnmena View Post
I put up a 6 foot polyvinyl privacy fence 2-3 months ago. The neighbors on each side of my house have lawn services that trim there yard right up to the fence. The backyard neighbor came to my house and insisted that the overgrown grass on his side of the yard against my fence is my responsibility. He wants me to come into his yard and trim this area on a regular basis. When the fence was installed I had a permit from the city. The fencing company used a survey and installed the fence 2-4 inches inside my property. So I guess technically there may be 1-3 inches outside the fence that are still my property. I called city code and they told me I'd be trespassing if I entered the neighbors yard and there is no violation if the grass against the fence is not trimmed. Who should trim the grass against the neighbors side of the fence?

Thanks
If the 2 to 4" is actually your property, then you should trim it. You would not be trespassing since the neighbor ASKED you to come over and trim it. So much for taking your legal advice from city code inspectors.

Keeping good relations with a neighbor is always the best policy. So keep the grass trimmed. If you don't and he maintains it, eventually he will own those inches of your property by adverse possession.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Lexus
Top Level Member

You will need to look at the survey and see who owns the land. Usually, each owner should mow his or her own side of the fence. A judge likely is not going to order the neighbor to let you onto the neighbor's property to maintain his side of fence. Your situation might have different issues. Further, you can't stop someone from suing you. Therefore, contact an attorney to review your situation in detail.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
Unregistered

Personally I would use weed killer on the 2 inches next to the fence. That way i wouldnt have to weed whip it constantly. Or put some kind of stone or paver there.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Personally I would use weed killer on the 2 inches next to the fence. That way i wouldnt have to weed whip it constantly. Or put some kind of stone or paver there.
Personally, I can't believe you were stupid enough to add to a 4 year old thread.

smh.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Unregistered

adjuster, I just found this thread today on Google.

The threads don't die, and 4 yr old info still helps somebody seeing it for the first time.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The threads don't die, and 4 yr old info still helps somebody seeing it for the first time.
Yes, they do. Responding to a long dead thread is useless and wastes everyone's time. The OP has long gone so your answer is useless. IF someone else has a similar issue they should start their own thread.

If this forum actually had a moderator or administrator this thread would be locked.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote