Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > HEALTHCARE LAW and MALPRACTICE > Dangerous Drugs and Medical Devices

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
BEENBALL
BEENBALL's Flag is: United States

Default Sue the doctor over pain meds?

I am addicted to the pain killers I was prescribed and it seems they were never really truly needed.
Can I sue the doctor or make him pay for a rehab clinic or something to get me off these things now.
BEENBALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Sue the doctor over pain meds?

If the pain killers were prescribed to you as medicine and you consumed it as per the prescription, you could not sue the doctor for getting you addicted to that particular medicine.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that you may file a petition for medical malpractice. You will need expert testimony. You will also need to ascertain that you are within the period of statute of limitations. You may submit all evidence in the court which supports your view point. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEENBALL View Post
I am addicted to the pain killers I was prescribed and it seems they were never really truly needed.
Can I sue the doctor or make him pay for a rehab clinic or something to get me off these things now.
You would also have to prove that he was negligent and doing things outside the scope of normal medical practice. Not easy to do. And you should not have contributed to the issue in any way that was not truthful or correct, if you did. Those are all things to think about as well.

BUT for heavens sake do seek treatment or professional help, and get off those things.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Lester M
Lester M's Flag is: UK

I am always a little shocked by how often people want to blame the doctor for every issue they have in their lives. It's not the doctor that makes the person an alcoholic or a drug abuser.
Lester M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:

Shouldn't it be getting easier to sue now with all the publicity and news on this issue?

It seems to show the doctors got out of control.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
olive
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shouldn't it be getting easier to sue now with all the publicity and news on this issue?

It seems to show the doctors got out of control.
Well you still have the degree of personal responsibility, and a lawsuit is expensive to pursue unless the lawyer will do it on contingency.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
The doctor seemed to think you DID need them and you presumably agreed at the time?

I am not sure you have an absolutely perfect case to sue. Just my opinion.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Unregistered

I am surprised any pain management doctor would stay in business these days with all the criticism doctors face no matter what they do. First they prescribe too much, and now too little.