Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BANKRUPTCY and DEBT COLLECTIONS > Consumer Bankruptcy

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
rwsimbulan
rwsimbulan's Flag is: United States

Default filing chapter 7 from Canada

Heres my situation,
- I am a PR of Canada and currently live in Canada
- Lived in the USA (Florida) for most of my life and my assets including rental home and 2 cars are in Florida
- I received a summons from one of my creditors
- No intention of coming back to USA and paying my debts
- I would like to sell my cars prior to bankruptcy if possible

I would like to file bankruptcy, chapter 7 from Canada since I am not a resident of Florida anymore.

Anyone know how about to do this and also if there are any paralegals or lawyers willing to help?

thank you
rwsimbulan is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: filing chapter 7 from Canada

I wish to inform you that the provisions of 11 U.S.C. §109 and 28 U.S.C. §1408 will have jurisdiction in this matter. As you have property in the United States, you may file for bankruptcy even while residing in Canada. However, you may need to travel to the United States in order to attend the Meeting of the Creditors, and if necessary, attend follow up meetings, hearings, and examinations. A bankruptcy petitioner is required to cooperate with the Trustee and answer any required questions before a discharge could be granted. There are exceptions under which a Trustee or the Court may grant exemption from personal appearance. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Jensen
Jensen's Flag is: France

Default Re: filing chapter 7 from Canada

My brother used a US nation-wide firm at debtorguard . com and he was in Toronto the entire time.
They seemed pretty good. And the price was low.
You might see if they can handle your claim.
Circumstances do vary of course.
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote