Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default harassment by neighbor / barking law

I have a neighbor 2 doors from me that watches me and calls the law each time my dog barks even if he only barks twice to tell me he is ready to come back inside after going out to potty. I have spoken to the local police chief who feels this man is ridiculous and is trying to help me as much as he can without getting into a compromising position at his job. However, I am constantly under stress because I know I am being watched and I am pretty sure he has placed some type of recording device on his porch now. None of my other neighbors have a problem with me or my dog. Two other neighbors have dogs one of which is directly across the street from him and barks more than mine yet he doesn't complain about them. Am I being harassed as I feel and is there anything I can do to legally get this guy off my back without putting me in the poor house. Note: my dog is a large breed house dog, but he and I both leave our windows open frequently rather than run the air conditioning.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default re: harassment by neighbor / barking law

I wish to inform you that you must obtain and study the copy of the anti-barking law in your city or county. You can procure a copy of the anti-barking law from the Department of Animal Control or the Police Department. In response to the complaints of your neighbor, you can show to the Police Department that as a dog owner you are meeting all the provisions of the local anti-barking law. You can thereafter serve a written notice to your neighbor that the conduct of your dog is within the provisions of the anti-barking law, that the other dogs in the area bark more than your dog, etc. and the neighbor should not harass you. If he does not stop the harassment and if the barking of your dog is within that allowed by law then you may file a lawsuit. Your neighbors can also give evidence in your support that the barking by your dog is not a public nuisance. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
berolina

Default Re: harassment by neighbor / barking law

I have a similar situation. When my dog was 6 months old he played with my girl in backyard and barked a little bit. My neighbor throw the stone to dog's direction. From this event and till now (my dog is 3 already) when dog seems the neighbor he started to bark. BUT, when he seems this person in window (when this man shows the snow or cut the grass), when the dog sits inside of house he is barking. The man put a couple aggressive notes on our door - I went to police. Last week he ordered the animal service and now I have court on Thursday. We are living on very noisy street: a lot of dogs and a lots of children. My dog doesn't disturb to anybody else from our street - I spoke with my neighbors.
berolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a neighbor 2 doors from me that watches me and calls the law each time my dog barks even if he only barks twice to tell me he is ready to come back inside after going out to potty. I have spoken to the local police chief who feels this man is ridiculous and is trying to help me as much as he can without getting into a compromising position at his job. However, I am constantly under stress because I know I am being watched and I am pretty sure he has placed some type of recording device on his porch now. None of my other neighbors have a problem with me or my dog. Two other neighbors have dogs one of which is directly across the street from him and barks more than mine yet he doesn't complain about them. Am I being harassed as I feel and is there anything I can do to legally get this guy off my back without putting me in the poor house. Note: my dog is a large breed house dog, but he and I both leave our windows open frequently rather than run the air conditioning.
At some point the police will stop responding to his phone calls and advise him to seek mental help.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Police will not entertain this types of complaints, because they will enquire the matter by asking other neighbors whether your dog cause any disturbance to them. If no one is making any similar complaint police will conclude that the complaint is bogus.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote