Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Divorce, Separation, Annulment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
christine123
christine123's Flag is: UK

Default uk national needs divorce (married in vegas)

Hello

This is my first post here, and although I'm in England, UK, I would appreciate any help you could offer. Its really sad, but I've been ignoring my paperwork for 20 years and don't have a clue how to proceed

I'm a UK national. I went for a holiday in California in 1996. Met a man. Got married few months later in Las Vegas. A few days after our marriage, I came back to UK. I have never been back to USA since. I have no way of contacting my 'husband', ie no mutual friends, no phone number, no address, etc.

My first question: Is there any way I can use the internet to check the official USA records/database to find out whether my 'husband' has already divorced me (and even whether he is still alive - or would this just add another complication?)?

According to one of the US official websites, I cannot simply go back to Vegas to get a divorce, as one of us need to be living in Vegas for at least 6 weeks prior to filing for divorce! So, I've been checking around the internet and apparently, I can file for divorce in the UK - but nothing is ever the straight forward!

According to information on a UK site (http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/weddin...as-wedding.asp
"...provided one or both of you is a British citizen, a ‘record’ can be created for your overseas marriage by depositing the marriage certificate in the General Register Office (GRO).* This record can be created at anytime after your marriage ceremony. In order to have your marriage certificate deposited you will need to specifically contact the GRO in the UK, and the British Embassy in Los Angeles, as this is not an automatic process, and state that you wish to deposit your marriage certificate with the GRO.
The marriage certificate must first be sent from The Las Vegas Wedding Bureau to the British Embassy in Los Angeles. The British Consular General will then forward the certificate, along with an accompanying note, to the GRO in the UK.* Once the documents have been received by the GRO you will be notified. The documents are then held with the GRO and from then onwards a copy of your marriage certificate can be requested, should the need arise."
My second question:How can I tell whether I have the original certified marriage certificate the certified original or a copy? On the bottom left corner is says "original to be given to the parties married", but on the same UK website, it says that only souvenir copy is given out at the wedding!

Third question:Is the information quoted above correct? And how am I supposed to contact the British Embassy in Los Angeles when I am in UK

Any advise or pointers you could give me would be much appreciated so thank you
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: uk national needs divorce (married in vegas)

I wish to inform you that UK recognizes marriages abroad if it has been performed abroad in accordance with law of the place where marriage was performed and does not contravene UK laws.Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognized in UK if you follow legal procedure abroad may not require to register it in the UK. You may thus seek your marriage abroad as basis for your divorce in UK. Your marriage certificate issued in Los Angeles may be presented as evidence of your valid marriage abroad.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
christine123
christine123's Flag is: UK

Does anybody know how i would go about finding his location to serve divorce paper petition? The only information i have is his year of birth, full name, name of his daughter, the name of his first wife, but that's all - and most of that information came from doing online searches, but ive hit a brick wall with trying to locate him.
I don't have much money and will never be able to afford a solicitor here to trace him. (I asked a solicitor today about cost, and she just could not give me a figure, except to say that I'm looking at thousands of dollars with no limit on it!)
All i have is his full name, and year of birth.
I found a photo of him on his brother's FB page from 2014. Ive tried contacting his brother this way, but his brother is blocking me. Ive also tried searching for his daughter and first wife but cannot find anything useful.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this case you are required to serve divorce notice to your foreign spouse and for that purpose you should know his location. If you are not aware of the exact location you can contact the local bar association of the last known address of your spouse and can seek help for serving notice.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Chepie
Chepie's Flag is: Philippines

Hi,just wanted to ask if can I file a divorce in Cyprus even I was married in the Philippines? Am working here in Cyprus at the moment so hope someone can advice me about this matter. I will appreciate a lot if so cuz I really wanted to know. Thanks in advance.
Chepie is offline   Reply With Quote