•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yrag4734
    • Aug 2016

Unpaid Debts in the UAE

Hi,
    I left unpaid debts from 2 banks in the UAE in the amount of (1) AED125,000+ (loan) and (2) AED37,500+ (credit card) and went to my home country for good as I have lost my job and could no longer afford to pay the bills and loan re-payments. Both banks have been bombarding me with emails and each time increasing the amount they demand that I pay due to penalties and interests. Recently, the credit card provider (bank) appointed a local collection agent to deal with my case. They have threatened to file legal suits against me according to "the law of the land" (Philippine laws).

Questions:
    1. Can they really pursue legal actions against me here in the Philippines on behalf of the UAE bank they represent? And if so, up to what extend can they do?

2. What is the chance that I will be arrested from my home at anytime by Philippine authorities?

3. Is there a chance that a Philippine court orders the confiscation of my legal properties to repay my debts back in the UAE?

Thanks for your reply.
  • Wenton

Re: Unpaid Debts in the UAE

It is unlikely they will pursue in court in the Philippines. It is not that easy to do as they say.

See the discussions at the link above and especially post number 174 as well for useful related information.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

Re: Unpaid Debts in the UAE

I wish to inform you that the banks may obtain a money judgment from UAE and file it in the Court in Philippines for recognition and enforcement under the principle of comity. In Philippines, no one could be compelled to pay a debt under pain of criminal sanctions. The UAE has extradition agreement with the Philippines, however, extradition may only take place by order of the Court in the Philippines.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...