Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Government and Administrative Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
pagg399
pagg399's Flag is: United States

Default Suing the EU competition committee for their decisions against Cyprus Airways

In 2015 the EU competition committee ruled that state aid provided to the national carrier Cyprus Airways was illegal. This resulted to the closure of the airline immediately. The reason for the negative decision was that the carrier received state aid twice in less than 10 years as the law stipulates “one time last time”. Five hundred and sixty employees lost their jobs due to this decision and the ones above 40 years old couldn’t find a job easily especially the cabin attendants.

The reason for my inquiry is that yesterday the EU competition committee approved state aid given to a Cyprus bank which was actually the third one and total amount 5.1 billion euros. I have all the documents from 2013 until Cyprus airways closure in 2015 which I could forward.

What I’m interested to do if there is ground is to sue the EU competition committee for their decisions against Cyprus Airways which the employees are still paying the consequences due to their actions.
Can such a suit be successfully brought?
pagg399 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Suing the EU competition committee for their decisions against Cyprus Airways

I wish to inform you that airlines may seek review of decision or court order setting aside such a decision to close airlines. However as you were employee thus you may not seek setting aside of such a decision because you were not a party to action by EU competition committee. Further parties have a right to amend or annul the decision through appeal to EU General Court. However after so much time Cyprus Airways may have to justify any tolling of time required by them in appeal.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Suing the EU competition committee for their decisions against Cyprus Airways

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagg399 View Post
In 2015 the EU competition committee ruled that state aid provided to the national carrier Cyprus Airways was illegal. This resulted to the closure of the airline immediately. The reason for the negative decision was that the carrier received state aid twice in less than 10 years as the law stipulates “one time last time”. Five hundred and sixty employees lost their jobs due to this decision and the ones above 40 years old couldn’t find a job easily especially the cabin attendants.

The reason for my inquiry is that yesterday the EU competition committee approved state aid given to a Cyprus bank which was actually the third one and total amount 5.1 billion euros. I have all the documents from 2013 until Cyprus airways closure in 2015 which I could forward.

What I’m interested to do if there is ground is to sue the EU competition committee for their decisions against Cyprus Airways which the employees are still paying the consequences due to their actions.

Did the airline itself ever appeal or sue?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagg399 View Post

I wonder if there is any special exemption for banks? Given how critical they are to the economy.