Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Courts, Decisions, Appeals

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
NHOA
NHOA's Flag is: United States

Default ex fiance said in a lawyers letter that i am an alcoholic

Good day
my brothers ex fiance said in a lawyers letter that i am an alcoholic because she does not want my brother to bring the child to me when he is visiting. All info that she gave her lawyer about me is false and untrue. can my brother give that letter to me that i can go and make a case with the police against her?
NHOA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: ex fiance said in a lawyers letter that i am an alcoholic

I wish to inform you that your brother may first try and resolve the matter with his ex fiance and her lawyer that he can bring the child to visit you. If the matter is not resolved, then he may file a petition in the court requesting the court that he can bring the child to visit you. He may provide evidence to the court that you are not alcoholic and the information is false. You may provide a declaration in his support. In matters of a child, the court always considers the best interests of the child. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. You and your brother may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHOA View Post
Good day
my brothers ex fiance said in a lawyers letter that i am an alcoholic because she does not want my brother to bring the child to me when he is visiting. All info that she gave her lawyer about me is false and untrue. can my brother give that letter to me that i can go and make a case with the police against her?
Nothing prevents your brother from giving you a copy of the letter but the police aren't going to do anything because it's not a crime to call you an alcoholic.

It's a civil matter. It might rise to the level of defamation. Unfortunately, drunks rarely recognize, or admit, that they are alcoholics so an opinion based on observable drinking habits might not even be actionable.

As for your brother bringing the child to see you, until a court says otherwise, he is free to do so.

Meantime, it's up to your brother to see that his visitation rights aren't limited by excluding you.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

These type allegations are normally arisen to strengthen the litigation and you can ignore it if your brother likes to visit you with the child.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote