Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Can I repo my own car?

i cosigned on a car last year and she stoped making payments 14 months ago, ive had to make the payments to keep from ruining my credit! she will not give the car back. can i lawfuly take the car from her? it is in both of our names on the title.
  • lord_eod

re: Can I repo my own car?

Yes... but I believe that was called "grand theft auto"
    Why dont you try to talk to the dealership or the bank(s)?

Then again I know nothing about law... lol

Comment

• Unregistered

whoever wrote that **** is an idiot. i dont know anything about law either. thats why i asked on here for advice! if you dont know what you're talking about dont write **** on here dumb ass!

Comment

• lord_eod

Easy there buddy... I was just trying to inform you that breaking into a car the is not under your name is theft. Also I wanted to to have you consider approaching the dealership or the lending back to see if they can have any advice or some sort of way out for you.

However, judging by the way you reacted to my simple comment, I can understand why the woman left you and then owned you by keeping the car.
        Maybe these are the things that happen to people that like to call other people idiots and over-react to the simplist things...

Good luck with those payments...

Comment

• Unregistered

i have a key and the title is in both of our names. i cant find the car and she will not return the car or let i be known where the car is. that make her the thief. ive asked for the car be returned and it never happens. thank you very much.

Comment

• Unregistered

oh, and by the way, she didnt leave me. i leaft her because she wasnt doing anything to straighten her life out on her own. she just likes to live off of other people. you know it makes you look not so smart if you start assuming things!

Comment

• Unregistered

i am in the sam situation, that i purchase car for son title is in both names he is not making the payments...i am stuck with a very large payment...don't want to repo but may not have a choice...payments are crazy..and he is not complying at all i guess if the company reposes the car what are the consequences? any know will they shut down checking or any banking accounts.... if not paid...? any advise ..i w ish i could sue my son.....

Comment

• Unregistered

Hire a private eye, or be one yourself and find the car and go get it. You have the key and title, then hide it like she did, but hide it better or if you do not want the car, crash it in the river and collect the insurance. I drove a car to Mexico one time and took off the plate and left it in Tijuana, claimed it was stolen, which it was, and never heard about it again.

Comment

• Unregistered

I was in the same situation , use people she knows ,family . Luckily I had thr spare key and I straight rolled up but the alarm went off , so the ex came out with her new bf straight outta prison with a bat and I snatched the keys from her and drove off cause he wen straight back I'm the house saying he was gonna get his gun cause his little bat wouldn't do much considering I'm 6'1 and 210 lbs muscle . She got layed off and shorted her last payment and won't even look for a job . So for every guy who trys to cosign listen to your friends or you will hear " I told you so " for a few months

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Can I repo my own car?

Let me answer your specific question even though years have passed since the original posting.

If you are a co-signor "yes" you can repo your car. Technically it's not called a repo, since it's your car. Here's what you or anyone should do in this case. Assign the account, the collateral to a repo company and pay the $400.00 or so repo fee's. Let a professional do the work for you and avoid any legal ramifications. Provide the repo company with the legal documents that shows ownership so they can work ( legally ) on your behalf.

A repo company can easily "pick" the car up with a quick loader, soft loader, or a flat bed. You or they can easily have a key cut at the dealership with proof of ownership but a key these days will most likely only be a "valet" key allowing the door to be opened and the ignition turned. A "valet" key will not start the car since the keys have to be programmed. This is why I said, let a repo company do the work for you.

There are also other legal ways to get the car. I can advise anyone on how to do it, but I can't just give my 20 years of experience for free. I have done that for far to long and I ask myself why. As the saying goes, if I had a dollar for all the free advice, I would be rich!!!!! With that said, I can help, just email me. I keep each case private and confidential.

[email protected]
                    (when emailing, please provide your full name, contact information (phone number, email etc.) state and any other helpful information.

Thanks, Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Comment

• biggerstan

i am a lien holder my customer has driven the car to guadulajara mexico how can i repo the car there - i do know the cars location there. thanks

Comment

• grayson
                        • Aug 2010

If there are any written bonds on the car that it's owner ship is both of yours then you cannot take it and there is only one optionthat you need to show that you have paid all the debts for the car then there is a chance of owning the car...

Comment

• Unregistered

how to repo my car from the person that has it.

Comment

• Disagreeable
                            Top Level Member
                            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                            • Oct 2012
                            • United States

Tell us the whole story. Is the title in your name? Is there as lien on it? A written contract? Your state?

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            how to repo my car from the person that has it.
                            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

My son had the same problem. Love is blind and stupid! He put the car in both their names. She hasn't paid one payment on it and had the car for bout a year. Then decided she didn't want a relationship and took the spare key off his keyring one night and left!haha Told him he could have car when he gave her 3grand so she could get another one. I'm a repoman of 17 years, went to where she worked and snatched it out of parking lot. Locked it in my shop, till he can get her off of paperwork. Then if she steals it back with the keys her butt is gone for autotheft!hehe But to answer ur question, you cant steal what u own. As long as both names are on title she can gripe to the law but nothing can be done. Civil matter has to go to court. And even if it does you will win.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...