Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Money Frauds and Scams

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Unregistered

Heald College: Am I being scamed by them?

Am I being scamed by them, and if so what can I do about it.

They charge almost $5000 a quarter for 4 classes and if you do those classes onlie it's the $5000 + $175 per online class

The teachers don't teach us anything, they just sign us off saying we did the activity when we did not.
I know most kids would love that, but I'm studying to be a medical assistant and that dosen't seem verry safe or ethical.

There is a whole lot more but, whatever, I just want to know if I am being scamed, and if so what can I do about it.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Heald College: Am I being scamed by them?

I wouldn't say that most are outright scams, and not familiar with Heald, but most of these types of places are kind of businesses first and schools second. They exist primarily to funnel government student assistance and loan money to them and many aren't great as far as education and on the back end actual job placement. Which is why they've been the subject of scrutiny and Federal investigations lately. Although I suppose that you could make the same generic argument for many publicly operated schools as well. Not as much of a clear profit motive in the latter case though.

All that said, personally I think that a quality vocational education path is a great way for many people to go assuming that you can find a good, reputable program in a targeted area with good job prospects. Beats wasting 4 years and $60K on some general major at a middling college somewhere and ending up being just-another cube dweller pushing paper in a job that you have no interest in at some just-another company.

Search for "for-profit schools" or "for-profit education" and that may give you a better view of how the overall industry works.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Unregistered

The profit thing I get, they have to make money.
But I have the orignal statments they gave me saying that tuition is only $1000 some odd dolors + $800 for books.
My bank tells me they took out loans of $5000 for me when the statements I get from the school say it's way less.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The profit thing I get, they have to make money.
But I have the orignal statments they gave me saying that tuition is only $1000 some odd dolors + $800 for books.
My bank tells me they took out loans of $5000 for me when the statements I get from the school say it's way less.
Well, that's an entirely different matter. I'm not sure who to suggest that you contact for that. There must be some consumer protection office under your state attorney general. Might start with it and they should be able to point you in the right direction from there.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Unregistered

It is also a good idea to carefully read all the documents you received at the time you enrolled as well as any loan documents you signed. The college is required to disclose the costs and terms associated with charging and refunding tuition. If you have signed loan documents that reflect an amount different than statements from a lender you may want to show this to the college's student accounts department and ask for an explanation.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
JRM1

I am currently a student at Heald college modesto, been there since 2010 and my advice to those doing research, stay away. They are scam artist. The president EZRA is a liar. I have been there ywo years and have not read a single book, all our education is off of powerpoint printouts and typing a whole bunch of definitions. I have a overall gpa of 3.41 and one quarter I made the presidents list. Without reading a single book. What a joke. Heald Education is a joke.
JRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Lexus
Top Level Member

First, find out where the online college is physically located. A legitimate online college will at least have physical office buildings within the country. You should research the accreditation board as well, making sure that it is associated with traditional colleges, not just online schools. Check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as well to see if there are any complaints. If you find that there is a scam, hire an attorney.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
JRM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
First, find out where the online college is physically located. A legitimate online college will at least have physical office buildings within the country. You should research the accreditation board as well, making sure that it is associated with traditional colleges, not just online schools. Check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as well to see if there are any complaints. If you find that there is a scam, hire an attorney.
I already did my research and barely found out that these for profit schools have been getting a lot of heat from the feds. I have been there 2 years because I did not know any better, but I am opening my mouth now because other people have a right to know about the scam so they do not get scammed themselves. I found a couple of class action lawsuits that have been filed against Heald College LLC, its sister school Everest College, and their father school, Corithian Colleges Inc. I would never complain or say anything, but I feel betrayed that this information was not told to me by the recruiter that sold me a dream. Had I known about all these investigations and allegations about Heald, I would have never, ever got involved. Its to late for me, but everyone else has a right to know before they get sold the same dream. This is not a online course, I attend the actual campus. I feel like a sucker. Whoever you are, thank you for your input and advise. At least someone cares. I just feel sorry for all the people out there who got left nothing but a whole bunch of debt. I have been doing my best to inform as many students as I can about the information I found. In the end I just hope people find out for themselves and make wiser choices than I did.
JRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
noonewilleverno

Omg!!!! I wish to god that I would have read this a couple months ago!!! I was completely scammed and now I am in debt!! I called in aug 2012 simply because I was curious and wanted to find out some information about the school since it was always on t.v (a lot of people were telling me to search the medical field since it was growing rapidly and I did even though it was not my passion) I am a single mother and decided that I needed to get a better life for my son. I called in and the guy told me to go in that same day and I said I was going to be busy but he insisted that my education was important so I went in later that day. He sat me down and went over heald college and how a lot of people hired graduates from there and basically painted a pretty picture for me. I told him I was a single mom and he said it was the perfect career for me. We went over to financial aid and the guy basically told me it was going to be 32,000 in the end but after they helped me get a job, I was real uncertain and wanted my sister there since she knew more about it then me but when I told the guy no he called in the advisor and the advisor told me it was the last day that I could get in basically forcing me. I said I wasn't sure when I wanted to start and he kept saying well what's stopping you and don't you want to do it for your son? I told him I didn't want anymore loans since I already had some previous from college and he said without them I could not attend. So I signed and began the next day. Now its Jan 2013 and I wasn't so happy with the career choice I picked and want to move so I went to withdrawal. Turns out that for going a quarter and a half I am now in debt 15,000!!!!!!! Basically half of what the whole cost is to graduate!!! I feel so cheated and hurt!!! I told my sister and she was so mad she said they scammed me big time because they shouldn't have forced it upon me especially when I didn't know what i was doing!!!! They take advantage of you and your situation, they don't give a **** about you they just want to get that money. This was by far the worst decision I have ever made in my life. To top it off all my friends i made there said they also just went in for information and were persuaded into going the next day. **** HEALD COLLEGE!!!!!!!
noonewilleverno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
d1nonlyadri

Angry Re: Heald College: Am I being scamed by them?

[SIZE=3]I am currently in dispute with Heald College over them over charging me and also having no record of a $3000 payment that I paid them in cash and have a Heald receipt for and the invoice. I don't know much about the laws and regulations. I have filed a complaint with the ombudsman's office, Department of Education, and any and everywhere else I could get contact information for and no one has taken the time to even hear me out. I was about to file a complaint with the Bureau of post secondary education, but I haven't yet. I need help; I have had a meeting with Heald College about this on August 27 and left with them telling me that they are going to have to do more research on this and get back to me.. I haven’t heard from them since. It has been going on 4 full months and they are still Investigating it? I have requested for the book receipts because I feel they charged me anything they could so that they can keep the full loan amounts that were disbursed by my loan providers.I want proof of the dates that I dropped each quarterbecause there are 9 times that they say I dropped too late to not be charged for the classes even though I never attended them. I am being charged online class fees when I never attended an online class. they are charging me for a quarter that they allowed me to take one online class only and then show that I didn't drop the other class in time putting me over the part time mark so I am being charged FULL price for a 3 unit class at $3500.I was charged full price for a quarter that I had to drop because I was incarcerated in 2009 I left 45% into the quarter which per their contract it stated that I should be credited 50% of the cost for the quarter. they also state that I was enrolled in 18 units which I don't remember ever taking more than 12 units... but it just so happens that I took 5 classes that quarter ... I do not recall. I have asked them to provide me with my attendance schedules for all the quarters that they state I took an online class and then dropped it To sum this all up, I am being charged over $32,000 for a school that when I signed up was told it would only cost me $24,000 to complete and I am only half way done obtaining my units. They never once informed me that if I only attended part time that I would end up paying double the amount that I would pay if I took the 18 units required to complete the program in the 18 months.This bit of information was never given to me before I signed up.I have so much more....to say so if you think that I have a case against them then please contact me by email, I will be happy to discuss this with you further. I also complained to the BBB and their response was a bunch of lies and I set them straight with my comments back.. now I am waiting for them to respond.
d1nonlyadri is offline   Reply With Quote