• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Net 1212
    • May 2018
    • United States

Talking about union activities at the workplace

Ohio
    Can an employer legally fire somebody for talking at the lunchroom table at work about possible union activities or forming a union?

There is no union at the workplace currently--if that matters at all.
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Talking about union activities at the workplace

More than likely illegal under the National Labor Relations Act:

You can contact the NLRB for more information.

I don't know if Ohio has similar laws but you can call up and ask:

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that in all other forms of private employment other than railroad, Ohio recognizes and will enforce union contracts calling for union shops (in which new hires must join the union within some specified period of time) and similar union security agreements. Further, some employers might use threats, intimidation, or retaliation to make workers afraid of losing their jobs if they support the union. These measures are illegal.

AFF

Comment

• Lexus
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2010
        • United States

In this regard you can contact the human resource department of the company to enquire the exact reason for termination. If you are fired for frivolous reasons you should contact an attorney to seek advice on filing a case for damages.

Comment

• adjusterjack
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Lexus
          If you are fired for frivolous reasons you should contact an attorney to seek advice on filing a case for damages.
          Ohio is an employment "at will" state. In the absence of a bona fide employment contract that requires cause, or a collective bargaining agreement, or civil service job, employment can be terminated for no reason or any reason, even a frivolous reason (You didn't wear red socks today, your fired) as long as it doesn't violate any anti-discrimination laws.

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

Talking about a union is not a protected class. If you are in a union and get fired, unless you are not doing your job, you should be fine. Even then the union should back you. Until a union is in place, it is best to only talk off premises until a vote agreement is in place.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...