Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default flooding - damage to my building by a trailer park

I have a trailer park next to my property, they have a ditch that is diverting water on to my property and flooding one of my buildings, I have spoken to the owner and she refuses to do anything about the problem. I have ditched around my building, but the water still overflows it, it is now doing damage to my building. What can I do about this?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: flooding - damage to my building by a trailer park

I wish to inform you that in your case, you can claim compensation from your neighbor. The owner of the trailer park is liable under the rule of strict liability in law of torts. In this, the act of your neighbor is causing damage to you and your neighbor is aware of the fact that her acts are causing damage to your property. A person is free to use his or her property but exercise of property cannot be exercised in a manner that the acts of a person cause damage to buildings which are situated next to it. Hence, you can file a suit for damages.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No