Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
dpet

Default I want to live with my dad but mom isn't allowing it!

Hi, I'm 15 almost 16 in September and my parents got divorce when I was 5. My mom got joint custody of me with the primary because I stay with her Monday through Friday and see my dad on the weekend. And just this year she got engaged to this guy and she moved me to his house in a whole new town. First off I REALLY don't want to change schools, secondly I don't like the area or house, and third I'm not too fond of the guy. I mean he's nice but when he gets mad he's a complete dick. And he's one of those guy who's like "My house, my rules" and since in forced to live there I have to abide by it. Anyways I want to move into my daDs house because he lives 15 minutes away from my old school so if he pays a small tuition I could continue to go there. Although he works like 45 minutes from where the school is and since I get out at 2 he probably couldn't get down to the school to pick me up until like 4:30/5. But I could take the bus to a local library or stay at the school and do homework or get a job until he picks me up. Anyways my mom is basically dying how bad of a kid I am just because I wish to live with my dad and take her to court for it. Is it true am I bad??? Or is this normal? Thanks for the replies.
dpet is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: I want to live with my dad but mom isn't allowing it!

No you are not a bad kid. You are the casualty of your parents' bad choices.

Your dad needs to petition the court for residential based on the fact that she moved. The judge may hear from you, altho what you want is typically given little weight. You sound like a bright, well spoken young man - you may fare better than many.

Much luck!
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2016, 02:18 AM   #3
Sherrycanon

Just ask your dad to petition the court. Try talking to the judge and say how it is for you to cope up with the situation
Sherrycanon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
dpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
No you are not a bad kid. You are the casualty of your parents' bad choices.

Your dad needs to petition the court for residential based on the fact that she moved. The judge may hear from you, altho what you want is typically given little weight. You sound like a bright, well spoken young man - you may fare better than many.

Much luck!
Would I actually have to go In front of the whole court and talk?
dpet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

No, typically the judge interviews you in chambers (his office).
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 AM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

The more expensive part is dad getting it to court, unless he does all the filings himself.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote