Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Other Labor Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
LethalWeapon

Can I sue my employer for undo stress or Emotional Stress?

I work in Security and I am in the process of transferring to a new location. On 12/07/2012 I had a seizure at work and felt so embarrassed about the whole thing. My husband and felt it would be safer for me to transfer now than later, because I have our kids with me and the seizures are not under control at the moment. We contacted my Account manager to see if we could go ahead and transfer without working out my two week notice. We were told that in order to keep my job and transfer I would have to work out the full notice. I requested two days off (due to the fact that I just had a seizure at work and felt so humiliated) and immediately I felt that my job was threatened for wanting to do so. I later contacted HR and explained everything. We had a conference call that got very heated. At the end of the call I was told that I could return to work provided that I have a doctors excuse clearing me to work and that I have to work out my notice. I forgot to leave the excuse on my first night returning, (which has happen in the past) so I made sure to have it the next night. When got to work my co-worker stop me at the gate and stated that she was told to ask if I had my excuse. I advise her that I did and she open the gate for me to proceed. Now not only do I feel embarrassed to show my face at work, I feel as though I'm being targeted for everything that happen. I'm a fairly thick skin person, but now I find myself crying every night, and dread returning to work. Is there anything I can do, because I feel this will continue at my new location as well.
LethalWeapon is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I sue my employer for undo stress or Emotional Stress?

Harassment and emotional distress lawsuits are civil matters, not criminal cases. In civil litigation, the plaintiff must prove he has suffered from the defendant's harassment or negligence. An attorney will not take a case unless the evidence will stand up in court. If you can present convincing proof that the defendant harassed you or was negligent to the point of causing you emotional distress, then you can pursue a lawsuit against the other individual.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWeapon View Post
I work in Security and I am in the process of transferring to a new location. On 12/07/2012 I had a seizure at work and felt so embarrassed about the whole thing. My husband and felt it would be safer for me to transfer now than later, because I have our kids with me and the seizures are not under control at the moment. We contacted my Account manager to see if we could go ahead and transfer without working out my two week notice. We were told that in order to keep my job and transfer I would have to work out the full notice. I requested two days off (due to the fact that I just had a seizure at work and felt so humiliated) and immediately I felt that my job was threatened for wanting to do so. I later contacted HR and explained everything. We had a conference call that got very heated. At the end of the call I was told that I could return to work provided that I have a doctors excuse clearing me to work and that I have to work out my notice. I forgot to leave the excuse on my first night returning, (which has happen in the past) so I made sure to have it the next night. When got to work my co-worker stop me at the gate and stated that she was told to ask if I had my excuse. I advise her that I did and she open the gate for me to proceed. Now not only do I feel embarrassed to show my face at work, I feel as though I'm being targeted for everything that happen. I'm a fairly thick skin person, but now I find myself crying every night, and dread returning to work. Is there anything I can do, because I feel this will continue at my new location as well.
Before deciding to launch off and sue for your feelings, picture the position turned around. You are the employer. You have an employee who has had a seizure. Would you require that before returning to work that person have a doctor's note clearing them? So you don't have to worry they will have another seizure? And possibly get injured? And you be liable if they or someone else suffers an injury? I think most people would find the employer's actions reasonable under the circumstances and your reaction an overreaction.

In your post you say your seizures are not under control yet -- and you have children. Do you drive still? Transport your children with you driving the car? Can you imagine what might happen if you have a seizure while at the wheel?

Since your seizures are not under control yet, perhaps you might reconsider returning to work at all. I believe your embarrassment comes over having the seizures. That is nothing to be ashamed of -- or any medical condition you did not bring upon yourself by wrong actions. It seems your No. 1 priority should be in getting the medical problem dealt with -- and not returning to work until it is cleared.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

You are taking something beyond your control way too personally. I had a security officer prone to seizures working for me before. He had a radio and knew he was to call if a seizure started. Over the time I worked there, he had many seizures. Decades ago, when I was in high school, our principal had narcolepsy. He would nod off in the middle of suspending a student as well as meetings. He was memorialized as the best principal the district ever had. I am disabled and have been reduced to tears at work from pain from pinched nerves. What is important is that you and your employer are aware of the medical parameters of your ability and have an action plan if something goes awry.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
BOR

LW many states do NOT permit such suits against employers, either intentional infliction of emotional distress and or negligent infliction.

You are of course free to consult an attorney, but be advised, even if permitted, the burden of proof is MORE than mere hurt feelings, etc.
BOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Harassment and emotional distress lawsuits are civil matters, not criminal cases. In civil litigation, the plaintiff must prove he has suffered from the defendant's harassment or negligence. An attorney will not take a case unless the evidence will stand up in court. If you can present convincing proof that the defendant harassed you or was negligent to the point of causing you emotional distress, then you can pursue a lawsuit against the other individual.
Can I sue my employer calling me a retard,stupid for several times?I do have witneses.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can I sue my employer calling me a retard,stupid for several times?I do have witneses.
He is entitled to his opinion. That is not actionable.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Unregistered

My employer seems to be rude to me and does not give me any break at all when I have a severe psoriasis outbreak.

Is that any thing illegal? Can I file a complaint somehow?

Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
My employer seems to be rude to me and does not give me any break at all when I have a severe psoriasis outbreak.

Is that any thing illegal?

No.

Quote:
Can I file a complaint somehow?
You can "file a complaint" wherever you want to.

It just isn't going to do you any good and will brand you as a whiner and complainer with your employer.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Toni24
Toni24's Flag is: United States

Quote:

Is that any thing illegal? Can I file a complaint somehow?

I don't see that that is illegal. It may be bad management but unfortunately is not illegal.
Try also gently discussing it with him or his superiors.
Toni24 is offline   Reply With Quote