• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Filer5
    • Oct 2017
    • United States

Loser pays legal fees in partnership agreement

Hi All:
    Is it legal to include in a partnership agreement in NY that if the partners have a dispute, the "loser" basically pays all legal fees involved in the dispute, for both sides?

I understand the actual clause would probably have to be more technical and precise but I am asking about the concept generally, is that legal to do?
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Loser pays legal fees in partnership agreement

Originally posted by Filer5
    Hi All:
    Is it legal to include in a partnership agreement in NY that if the partners have a dispute, the "loser" basically pays all legal fees involved in the dispute, for both sides?

I understand the actual clause would probably have to be more technical and precise but I am asking about the concept generally, is that legal to do?
    It's legal to have that in a contract. And it actually is that simple to say "loser pays winner's legal fees" though it's usually not written that way.

In the American legal system the parties to a lawsuit are required to pay their own attorney fees UNLESS there is an attorney fee provision in the contract (or there is a statutory requirement).

It certainly seems that your partnership agreement has a thoroughly enforceable bilateral attorney fee provision.

If you are getting into a partnership with a person smarter than you, maybe you had better reconsider the idea.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...