Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #201
Unregistered

Default Re: Laws on bait traps for cats

Well what a bout a stray cat that claimed your house as its home? We had a stray show up at our house and had babies under our deck. As far as I know, this mother cat has been an outdoor (wild) cat all her life. My neighbor has admitted to trapping stray cats. He says he takes them to the local shelter. A few days ago, the mother cat disappeared and these poor kittens are starving. I know he trapped the mother and did something with her. He did NOT take her to the shelter that he claims to. I was over and looked for her. Now I'm gona have to have these poor kittens put down. I do not have the means to take care of them. I think what he did (if I could prove it) is for one, HEARTLESS and two, unlawfull!!! I've tried talking to him about trapping our cats in the past. We have a litter box outside that our cats use. He claims that it is our cats digging up his flower beds but it isn't. If they were, the litter box we have would not be used like it is. We have had 3 cats disappear in the past couple of years because of this ******* baiting traps. They never use to even leave the deck until he started putting food out. The worst part is, they are not all live traps. Some are ankle traps. My one female came back one day with a terrible cut on her leg from one of those traps!!! It cost me over $250 at the vet to have her treated. He denies having live traps but I have pictures of them with canned cat food on them!!! That kind of activity has to be illegal!!!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 AM   #202
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
im sick and tired of my neighbors cats pooping and digging in my mulch. also they r killing my song birds. i will do what i have to to get rid of them.
You are a very sick and twisted ****er.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #203
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that laws regarding animal cruelty vary from state to state. Catching a cat by setting a baited cat trap is a cruelty to a cat and a person may be liable for this. In this the cat is specially being attracted and hence cat is being submitted to cruelty. You can argue that your pet is subject to undue hardship. The act of your nature is causing hardship and torture to your cat and it is cruelty and hence you can report the matter as an offence.

AFF
This stupid....Cats both feral and domestic defecate in my flower gardens. This isn't a fertilizer but a diseased condition on my paid for property. The owner of the domestic has also allowed their 3 dogs to defecate in my yard.....This is irresponsible! The dog warden can write tickets on the dogs if I have pictures of them on my property and he recommended using a paint gun off the record to shoot them...I informed him I would not do this.....what I will do...
1. Take pictures using outdoor tracking camera of all animals on my property
2. Submit these to my HOA rep....I pay my HOA fees and these are violations in the by-laws
3. I will submit these pictures on all dogs on my property to the dog warden.
4. If cats continue on my property I will continue sending to HOA rep
5. Once thoroughly pissed off I will file a civil suit against domestic owner(s) for endangering the health and wellfare of my family
6. Finally after significant cost to me I will trap cats sending these to the Humane Society and regards to the domestic cats I will contact the irrepsonsible owners to come and get their innocent animals.#####
So why am I being punished for stupid people with no regard for my property.....?????

Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 PM   #204
Unregistered

Quote:
Obviously you are an ignorant fool! Cats are free to roam where ever they wish, because unlike aggressive dogs chasing and viciously attacking adults and small children, cats only attack, if you could even call it that, to defend themselves if provoke! Come on now, how many times in the 6:00 news have you heard of a domesticated cat killing somebody? NEVER!!! Can the same be said for dogs? I don't think so. And don't there say that cats are dirty, for heavens sake they are one of the most if not the most cleanest creatures put on this filthy earth, endlessly cleaning and grooming themselves. And as for cats being a nuisance in people's yards, honey I think you have it the other way around, dogs are dirty and will leave their mess all over for you to step on and especially all of you LAZY dogowners whom don't bother to pickup the king-size turds your filthy dog left behind, if you don't want it in your yard what makes you think I want it in mine! At least cats have the decency to cover over after they go. Also, dogs are annoying because they bark all day and night, even at things that are not even there, and it's disruptive and inconsiderate to people who have to get up early in the morning to go to work unlike some others. The list could go on and on, but I am tired now of typing, maybe because of too many listless nights of hearing dogs barking nonstop.
So goodbye and also for the record I have own dogs in the past but much prefer cats. So yes, I am a cat lover. Does it show just a little?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well if, you believe this then you have no idea what cats can do. We have five cats across the street from us that use our yard as their dumping ground, our lawn is all dug up and you can't sit in our living room with the windows open as the smell is so bad from their urine and ****. I picked up eight piles yesterday and threw them on the owners lawn. They have been talked to but chose to believe it's not their problem. I am not the only one in the neighborhood that has complained. I also have a dog and I pick up after him.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #205
Unregistered

If your in the state of ohio, No matter what your excuse is. Under the direct law of Goddards Law, Baiting and trapping of animals, especiall cats, is illegal. and can be considered a felony as it is a form of animal abuse, and further more, if your moving them inproperly and illegally, especially by dumping them, then is considered neglect and abandonment of an animal, which is now classified also as a felony.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #206
Unregistered

Quote:
What are the laws about cats being in other peoples yards? My neighbor has placed a baited cat trap in his yard and I am worried my cat will be drawn into his yard by the bait and trapped. Reports by neighbors are that he turns the cats over to animal control and owners must pay a fine to save their cat from euthenasia.
The issue would be more that you allow your animal to wonder without restriction. Usually a dog is controlled by fences, but if you cannot control your cat then you should be courteous to your neighbor and keep your cat in your house. You may also want to check the animal at large statutes in your area. Now if you look at it a different way, do you want to be responsible if you cat climbs on someone else car and scratches their vehicle. If you don't want to pay for damages, I would suggest that you keep the cat inside or move so far out of town that you closest neighbors are miles away.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #207
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman1 View Post
A little insight to help those of you with your war on cat-lovers and their cats. Maybe if you explain this to them you won't have to use more drastic means.

I have come to the inexorable conclusion that the vast majority of cat-lovers and cat-owners that let their destructively invasive-species roam free, and those that defend the rights for feral cats to overtake public property and wildlife areas, are only (cowardly) using cats as a proxy for their own territorial behavior. Not unlike uneducated inner-city youth that will disrespectfully and inconsiderately use a boom-box to stake-out a territory for themselves with loud music. As long as they can have one of their possessions defecate in another's yard and the yard-owner not have any recourse to do anything about it, the cat-owner owns that territory. It's time to put a stop to them using their "cute kitty" excuse for usurping and stealing others' property. If they want territory they can damn well buy it just like anyone else. Instead of using their underhanded, disrespectful, and manipulative means, putting (and sacrificing) live animals in the path of their envy and greed. Again proving why they don't care about cats nor anyone else at all. Cat-lovers only really want your lawn, yard, or forest while making all others and all other animals suffer for what they can't have nor own. Bottom line--they want to control you and your property. That's all that "cat-lovers" are really after. It's why they don't care at all if their cat nor any other animals get harmed by their goals and (lack of) values in life.
We live in an area where a homeowner feeds and waters countless stray cats. While I do not want to see an animal suffer under any circumstances, this issue has become out of control. The cats breed often, the cycle never ends. My family is currently hand nursing a litter from these stay cats as the babies were left outside in 110°+ temperatures with no mother in sight. These kittens will be vaccinated and fixed before being placed in new homes. I realize that the effort we are making will not do much to stem the continued irresponsible breeding of strays, but, at least these kittens will not go on to either breed or be left to carelessly roam. They won't be left outside to come to any harm.
No one wants their yards or vehicles damaged or affected by the odor that comes from so many animals.
I am an animal lover, cats included. No, I do not want to impose on nor possess the lives or property of anyone. I see nothing wrong with a cat owner taking their pet outside with them for fresh air and sunlight. Should they be allowed to roam free? No. Too much harm can come to a pet that is unsupervised. We wouldn't allow our children to roam around our neighborhood alone, we would not allow them in our neighbors yard without permission either. Pets require much the same type of care.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #208
Unregistered

this person seems to have his facts about these cats. but the rest of you only name call and whine with nothing to actully prove your point. typical irresponsible cat people for ya.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #209
justwondering

I would suggest that a cat doing damage is a nuisance and the owner would be responsible. I would further suggest that rather than fight with the neighbor a person should fix an enclosed area where the cats can roam and can not escape. An enclosed area would be of considerable less social and economic cost than the aggravation to yourself and your neighbor and any litigation/retribution that may result.
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #210
Unregistered

I'm in the same boat with my neighbor. I have outside cats which on the most part stay in my yard, front porch is where I feed them. I have made attempts to contain them more so by feeding twice a day. He has set out baited traps with can tuna when I only feed mine dry food. Originally he had the trap in the bed of his truck and then complained about them on his vehicle and damaging his truck. I guess paw prints are considered damage. I pointed out to him the obvious of the baited trap in the bead of his truck. And the reason I knew it was a trap is because after a verbal altercation last summer, he took the trap out and set it on his driveway in plane sight for me to se it. He als wrote a letter to the city and in it he admitted in catching a few of my cats, didn't say how he was doing it, took them to the humane society? and they refused to take 'house pets'. He left out a lot of details like the baited trap on his property and in his letter he calls them feral cats and house pets. He also at one time called the humane society and told them I moved and abandon a bunch of feral cats. They came out to learn that he lied to them. At one point I have told my neighbor that I was considering of moving but no indication that I actually moved. When he was confronted by the humane society, he was back peddling his story. What the humane society has told him when he tried to take my cats to them, they knew the situation and did not want to get involved. At one point last summer my neighbor had a case because I had my shepherd in the front hard to keep him separate from my other dog due to a bite injury and my shepherd ran my cats out of the yard. That matter was resolved, shepherd was put back in back yard after wound healed and my cats migrated back in my front yard. My neighbor over exaggerates and flat out lies to justify his complaints. So after the city issued me a warning with his little paragraph of a complaint, I typed out a 4 page letter explaining the whole situation. Haven't heard from them since but 2 more cats have disappeared. At one point I had a lot of cats, ex wife wouldn't say no to her friends. But since she has been gone, I have found homes for some. The humane society told me that what my neighbor is doing is illegal, he has to notify and post that he is trapping on his property and it's considered as animal cruelty because he has a friend that takes them into the woods and supposedly lets them go. I live in a small town so my daughter is friends with neighbors little brother and he advised my daughter of this. So I guess my next step is going to city hall and talking with this woman who in facts volunteers her time on the weekends at the humane society walking dogs.