Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Divorce, Separation, Annulment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Oryx74
Oryx74's Flag is: Sri Lanka

Default How to get an annulment of marriage in Sri Lanka

My father was previously married to my mother (Decree Absolute available). He married another lady in Sri Lanka in Kandy Registry office 6 years ago.
We have since discovered that this lady listed her civil status as 'single' when she was actually a divorcee or widow!
Both above are British passport holders that had been living in Sri Lanka and had visas. The marriage certificate was all in Singhalese so my dad never thought to get a translation. Now she is being difficult and wants half his house etc a financial settlement etc and we are trying to find out if the marriage is legal if she falsely declared her civil status. Why apply / proceed with divorce if we can prove that she lied and did not submit correct documentation and therefore apply for annulment.
Any advice please

Also the marriage is not valid outside Sri Lanka because 6 years ago it was never registered at the Registrar General Department in Colombo as I think they would have been more thorough in checking documentation.
Oryx74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to get an annulment of marriage in Sri Lanka

I wish to inform you that to be legally recognized under Sri Lankan law, marriages must be registered with a Marriage Registrar’s Office within the party's area of residence or the Divisional Secretariat. Further, no party should have entered into any legal marriage which is valid at the time in Sri Lanka. You may contact Mr. S.M.W.B. Sandiligama, Department of Registrar General's in Battaramulla, Sri Lanka by telephone, email or fax for further guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to get an annulment of marriage in Sri Lanka

If she entered marriage life with forged documents your father can contest the marriage and request the court to declare the marriage as void. It is good to consult a family law lawyer in this regard.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote