•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SR Stevens
    • Feb 2017
    • Mexico

Paying for damages in lieu of jail time

If convicted of property damage in Mexico will paying the amount of the damages prevent a jail sentence?
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Paying for damages in lieu of jail time

That's up to the prosecutor. Ask him.

Comment

• Disagreeable
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Oct 2012
      • United States

In Mexico the law can be brokered, at the agreement of the aggrieved and the prosecutor.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Lexus
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2010
        • United States

It is better to indemnify the loss made by you through a deal rather than a case, so that you can avoid a criminal record.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by SR Stevens
          If convicted of property damage in Mexico will paying the amount of the damages prevent a jail sentence?

As noted above yes that is possible but the prosecutor will have to agree.
          He does have discretion to agree to that or not.

Comment

• Unregistered

Restitution is not the same as facing the criminal charge.

If a crime was committed the prosecutor decides if and how to prosecute that crime.

Restitution may or may not occur separate from the prosecution of the crime.
            But of course if somebody is paid for the damage they are less likely to keep complaining and pushing the prosecutor to act! And the prosecutor is more likely to believe justice has been served.

Comment

• Unregistered

Is this the same in the US?
              If you are charged with property damage, will paying for the damage help make them drop the charge?

I have a 5500 dollar property damage charge (malicious damage to a vehicle) I am facing in Arizona.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Unregistered
                Is this the same in the US?
                If you are charged with property damage, will paying for the damage help make them drop the charge?

I have a 5500 dollar property damage charge (malicious damage to a vehicle) I am facing in Arizona.
                Anything's possible but it would be up to the prosecutor and the victim.

Criminal damage to property in amounts between $2000 and $10,000 is a Class 5 Felony punishable by up to two years in prison plus fines and restitution.

If it was my car you would have to pay me the $5500 in cash, in full, plus an amount to cover the diminished value of my car, or I'd insist that you rot in prison.

Comment

• Unregistered

Does restitution have to equal the amount of the damage or can it be a lower amount as well?

For example I am not sure I would have the full property damage amount to pay back?

Comment

• Unregistered

It's up to the prosecutor, there is no one answer to that.
                    But generally it must be pretty close to the actual loss suffered by the person.

Comment

• Unregistered

...plus a penalty beyond that for purposeful, willful bad behavior, if any.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...