• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tn222
    • Jan 2018
    • United States

I'm unable to work at this time

Illinois

Can my ex husband sue me for not being able to pay on a joint account that was declared mine in the divorce decree
    I am in another state helping my family member with their kid because they are in the hospital and I am unable to work because of this he is saying I could face jail time and fines because I'm not paying on it because I'm unable to work at this time.
  • Highwayman
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2014

Re: I'm unable to work at this time

Anyone can sue another for any reason.

What are you supposed to pay??? You have explained nothing.

You should really be speaking to your divorce attorney.

Comment

• Wenton2
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2016
      • United States

The court in the divorce has ordered you to pay on that account.

So your ex could file for contempt and drag you back to court. The court may or may not find you in contempt.

It is best to ask the court to change the order if you cannot pay though that is not so easy to do, or pay the amount due one way or another.

If your ex will agree to give you some time, that will also help though the court order to pay would still be binding on you.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by tn222
        Illinois

Can my ex husband sue me for not being able to pay on a joint account that was declared mine in the divorce decree
        I am in another state helping my family member with their kid because they are in the hospital and I am unable to work because of this he is saying I could face jail time and fines because I'm not paying on it because I'm unable to work at this time.

I doubt the judge would throw you in jail immediately, but your ex is right that the court order is binding and should take precedence over other matters.

Comment

• adjusterjack
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • May 2016

Originally posted by tn222
          Illinois

You are not "unable" to work. You "chose" not to work.

Not paying on the account is causing the creditor to go after your ex for the money and trashing his credit along the way.

And THAT is something a judge will come down on you hard for.

I suggest you have your family member pay you enough for your help so that you can bring the account payments up to date or let your family member hire help so you can get a job and obey your court order.

Yes, being found in contempt could lead to jail time.

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

So it is not that you cannot work, but that you are choosing not to work. I see a contempt order in your future.
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Lexus
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Sep 2010
              • United States

In this regard your husband can sue for not paying the joint account. It is good to pay the amount to avoid the issues.

Comment

• olive
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Mar 2008

He doesn't really need to sue in court he can just ask the court to enforce the already existing order.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red dog is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...