Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BANKRUPTCY and DEBT COLLECTIONS > Debt Collection

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Unregistered

Default Re: pay to delete (derogatory account/ listing, credit report)

After reading your post, I find it's not a wonder you are offended at the term "birdbrain".

This topic has run its course. Good day.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
LJ Team

See also WORLD Law Debt 1-866-243-6931
LJ Team is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Unregistered

Talking Re: pay to delete (derogatory account/ listing, credit report)

Amazing that the people who claim to be giving sound advice are using words like stupid/sucker and birdbrain.
That DOES NOT sound like someone I want to take advice from.
They can't even express themselves without disrespecting others...

Good luck M.Sola.
I'm glad that the answer from Registered User 2 prompted you to look into the issue.

And you are right. Non of us can be absolute about anything.

Take care!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Unregistered

I'm glad, as well, that a response - that is perfectly sound, - prompted the OP to research more. The only problem is, he/she did not research enough. The responses the OP received were on point.

Good luck to the OP in getting the matter resolved.

We can be absolute. The law and regulations do not change. An item that is accurate cannot be deleted from a consumer's credit report merely because the consumer does not want it there. Again, if that were the case, all of us would have perfect credit scores.

Again, if a consumer has to sue a collection agency, it is not because the item is accurate or being accurately reported. There is nothing that can dispute that simple fact.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Unregistered

To the original poster: why have you had to sue collection agencies? Why are you currently in a lawsuit with one now? Think about what you are saying before you say it.

You think that just because an item on your credit report that is hurting your credit score can be removed as a result of negotiation with the original creditor or a collection agency simply because it's hurting your score? You are mistaken.

Credit reporting repositories are separate entities from creditors. Once a creditor or collection agency places an item on a person's credit report, it is there for the next 7-10 years unless the item is disputed as being inaccurate. (i.e. perhaps the wrong person's credit report, or a collection agency placed it there in their own name, or the amount is incorrect, date reported, etc.) Credit reporting repositories are not for the consumer. They exist for the creditor. In this way, creditors have more legal right to access of a consumer's credit report than the actual consumer. Skeptical? Why do you have to pay to get a copy of your credit report? Banks don't. If the bank does get charged, they charge the consumer for the service.

You're mistaken as well about your belief that reporting an item accurately has "nothing to do with anything here". In fact, it has everything to do with why this topic even exists. If it didn't have "anything to do with anything", then what is it, exactly, that you are suing for and why is it that you even began this thread? Again, think before you speak.

Frankly, you are being very irresponsible posting on a public forum that all one has to do if he does not like the fact that his poor financial decisions has made his credit score low and how to fix that is to merely negotiate a payment plan in which, for bargain, the creditor/collection agency will magically have that item removed. It simply does not work that way and you are irresponsible for leading people to believe that it does. The creditor/collection agency who placed the item has no control over that item once it's been placed. Once that item is there, it's there to stay for the next 7-10 unless the consumer can successfully dispute its validity. Period. Your magical thinking on this topic holds no merit or sense.

It's also unclear why you even bothered to post a question if you know all the answers.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
m.sola

If you’ve read Brown v. Board of Education or, more recently, Boumediene v. Bush, then you know that even the Supreme Court has reversed itself. If the law is absolute, there won't be such things as amendment or repeal. But the law evolves and ideas shifts from time to time. My original question was posted bcos of concerns about restrictive endorsement. However, discussion took a different turn and I let things go their natural direction. This is a public forum and we live in an open society. So much better then to let thoughts flow freely...

But some here make conclusory statements and like to call names. I trust that people who may read these posts are adults and curious information seekers who can decide for themselves what to believe. To everybody, I say research, research, research. Remember that debt collectors also come to this forum and they will spread the type of information they want people to believe. But with Research & Google, you will be most of the way home. Good luck!
m.sola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Unregistered

hmmm...wish it were always that easy.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Unregistered

While you did start the thread, I think that the people who came on board quoting Fair Debt Collection Practices, and offering up sound, well thought out information will be taken far more seriously than any of your posts. Their posts are chock full of correct, logical information while yours tend to ramble and make vague, general insinuations but do not point anywhere directly. Many of your statements are illogical, to say the least.

Nobody said the law was "absolute" as you put it. But laws, regulations and rules are put in place to protect the consumer against a slew of issues, and dealing with debtors and collection agencies is covered. You can quote as many cases as you want, but it changes nothing. And the cases you have quoted only further bolster other poster's claims.

This horse has been beaten enough. Time to drop it.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: pay to delete (derogatory account/ listing, credit report)

I CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION 100%. I just disputed 5 accounts on TransUnion BECAUSE OF PAY TO DELETE. If you dispute a listing online, one of the options you can check under "Why you are disputing" is "CREDITOR AGREED TO REMOVE FROM REPORT". I checked this box, AND ONLY this box and the item was removed in less then a week. IS THIS LEGAL: YES and how am I 100% sure? The accounts in question were STUDENT LOANS and part of the federal student loan rehabilition program for defaulted student loans. Part of the program is that they will REMOVE all negative info from credit report after 9 months of consecutive payments (I think it was 9 months but i went through the program in 2008 so I don't remember. I just checked my report 2 weeks ago and noticed Transunion was the only CRA that did not remove). If the Federal Student Loans can do it i'm sure it's legal. END OF DISCUSSION.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
Unregistered

It's not "end of discussion" as you unilaterally are trying to control.

The items likely dropped off because the 7 year time period passed. Creditors cannot remove items just because the consumer does not like them being there. Once an item is placed, it must be proven inaccurate in order for that item to be removed.

It's too bad forums like this exist, which give people free reign to post whatever they like regarding their circumstances, many of which aren't telling the whole story, and posting dangerous advice that laws can be changed arbitrarily.