Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BANKRUPTCY and DEBT COLLECTIONS > Debt Collection

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #21
maylene@cox.net

I looked at my credit report to find a lien./judgement that this bank has placed on me for 8,000.00. I have never lived in NH and don't have a credit card with them. Who are they and what is this doing on my credit bureau. Take this off ASAP or I will turn you in for false information on people. This is not the first time but several times this has happened. I have no,idea what this is,about but I sure don't owe you eight thousand dollars. You say you have reached me I have lived in the same place for two and a half years if you tried to reach me your office person is a liar. I have never and any business with you. Take this off my credit union reports.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Providian suing for old credit card balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylene@cox.net View Post
I looked at my credit report to find a lien./judgement that this bank has placed on me for 8,000.00. I have never lived in NH and don't have a credit card with them. Who are they and what is this doing on my credit bureau. Take this off ASAP or I will turn you in for false information on people. This is not the first time but several times this has happened. I have no,idea what this is,about but I sure don't owe you eight thousand dollars. You say you have reached me I have lived in the same place for two and a half years if you tried to reach me your office person is a liar. I have never and any business with you. Take this off my credit union reports.

Which credit reporting agency has the inaccurate information? Did you check all three?

It is either a case of mistaken identify or fraud. If this has happened you say several times, then is it possible someone is using your identity and running up bad accounts?

You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to dispute the judgment and have them enter your dispute on their record. Then:

(1) request a fresh credit report reflecting the dispute
(2) Check your credit report over carefully and
(3) Mark up any errors
(4) Send a separate letter, certified, noting the errors that need to be corrected for
(5) Each item disputed.
(6) Use plain language and don't threaten suit at this point
(7) include evidence in the letters, e.g. anything that shows you were at that given address when these charges went to judgment
(8) Then write the merchant or collection agency that procured the judgment or debt sending the same and request they report back to the credit bureau to have the judgment removed from your record as it (a) is not your debt and (b) you were never served the summons.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
Allen Heiner

I am facing the same thing. I do not even recall have credit with this company or how they would have issued me a card. I have not had a credit card company approve my credit for almost 10 years and now I am receiving a call from a collection company that states I owe a monthly payment of $100 for a settled claim which I do not even remember making. I just told the guy to take me to court and now I am being told that I will have to go to court for the full amount due and may face a lien on my property. I say go ahead. I don't even own my car let alone a house. Just old stuff in the house bed TV etc. What a hustle this is turning into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncconfusedgal View Post
I live in N.C. and had a Proviadian credit card yrs ago. It had a balance on it and I was the one that told them to close account and asked to make smaller payments. I was told no smaller payments would be accepted on the phone so since they did not want smaller payments i did not make them. I had to default due to the fact I became totally disabled and not having a regular income. It was either 2002 or 2003 ( can not remember) wrtoe them a cease and decease letter mailed it ( however I do not have a copy of it now). I got a call from some company today telling me I was being sued for almost 9,000 dollars. It did not have that balance on it however they said due to interest and stuff it is that high. He informed me today that I was being sued and taken to court. Said they had been trying to contact me for some time now. He actually called me on my cell phone and left message. Told me I was being sued and to call this number back in which i did cause i wanted to know who would be suing me. I live off less than 700.00 month, have a checking account in which my SSDI and SSI goes to. I live with the help of the state with food stamps and have medicaid. The only things I posses is a car in which is not paid for, a checking account in which i get my little checks direct deposited and pay my bills from and most time les than 20 left in account and what little possesions I have that are personal , like tv, puter, clothes and such. He asked me if I had frauded the credit card company and I told him I had not intentionally defrauded anyone. Then he want to make payment plans to settle out of court. Told him I might be able to make 50 or 75 then he jumped it up to 100 and when I told him i do not have money til the 3rd he said he could talk with his boss and to avoid being taken to court then I could make arrangments of the 100 monthly. I told him I need some time to think it over and he said isn't it worth it to make 100 montly payments and avoid court. I told him I want to talk to an attorney 1st. He then proceeded to tell me then they would see me in court and I hung up. What will happen, is the statue of Limitations up, is there any way to win, not be sued. I also do bleive I had disablity ins on it before I became totally disabled and when i got my disablity award paper they told me to sent it to them and account would be paid off. When they got it they told me since the paper said I filed for the disablity before I got teh card the insurance would not be any good. I had file for it but not declared it til later.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
Joann3

Unless they sue I personally have found that ignoring them is best.
That company is a sewer.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #25
Unregistered

I have paid off Providian's Balance long ago and was released and closed the account down. I now have US bank coming after me 10 years later. They are coming after me after my wife paid the amount Providian told her to pay and was release yet US Bank who Providian sold my account or debt to is coming after me. Can I get them for harassment?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #26
Jason46

Do you have the release in your files? Or can you get it or some evidence?

It's a violation of Federal law if they still try to collect and they know the release exists. If it does.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
Unregistered

I don't have the release files it's been so long ago. I hadn't heard from them for 10 plus years I thought the issue was done and resolved. I have moved like 5 times since then also so I really don't have them. Shouldn't they contact Providian for this not me dealing with this 10 years later?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #28
Unregistered

Who in the government can I contact regarding this harassment? This is I think 13 years later and I paid the debt. The lady harassed me calling me a person with no integrity and all kinds of other negative crap. I am really pissed about it to be honest how she tried to demean me and make me feel. I served in the military and she threatened to contact my military commander until I told her I was no longer in the military. Then she used that to demean me about being in the military and not being able to pay my bills etc. etc. I really want the government to go after them for this harassment.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #29
RandallG

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (a federal agency) will take your complaint.

And so will your state attorney general.