Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter -- Ontario family laws

Hello there, thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I am getting very desprate and know nothing about the ontario family laws. I am pretty much a single mother of two. This is regarding my youngest daughter. She will be one in a couple of weeks. The only time her biological father has seen her was when she was born at the hospital. He has not bothered to pay any support at all. He knew where i lived, my phone number, and my e-mail address and still didn't bother contacting me much, to see how the baby was doing or if i needed anything. I dont know if this is relevant or not but while living down here he told mutual friends a lot of fictional stuff about myself. Of course i got upset and told him that he needed to grow up before he could take on any responsabilities, still not keeping him from baby. He then chose to move up to Nunavut with his mother. He didn't even have the decency to let me know he was moving. Nunavut is like across the country from where we live. Visitations would be rare, if any. In the past we have made arrangements that he was going to come see the baby and he never showed up both times, not even letting me know he was not coming. When i was pregnant with the baby i met a guy and fell in love. He has been there for my daughter ever since she was born. If i needed anything i could go to him and he without hesitation would do it. Even though we do not live together he is who my daughter calls daddy. Now all of a sudden the father contacts me and wants to know if he can come see his daughter for her birthday. I didn't know what to say i was so shocked. I told him that i would have to think about it and get back to him. I talked to my boyfriend and we both agreed it would be ok if we were to come over, as long as he was willing to sit down and have a nice civil conversation about what is going on. My boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter and put her in his name if or when we get married. Now i have this set up that the father is coming over to talk!about things and im completly stuck. I dont know really what to do because I have no clue about the laws, rights. I know what morally is right, but i guess that is totally different right. If he does not show this time I will take legal action somehow. I need to know all different legal approaches to this situation, i also need to know my rights and the father's rights in this case. A reply as soon as possible would be very much appreciated. Thank you again for your time and sorry it's kinda long, i got carried away i guess.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No