Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > HEALTHCARE LAW and MALPRACTICE > Medical Malpractice

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #21
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My current case is similar - though I had no decay, no cracked filling. The dentist indicated that four filling should be replaced as "they were a bit worn down" due to "grinding my teeth". I had no discomfort or any bother with these teeth. NO warnings or cautions were given by this dentist at any time, before, during or after her drilling out these four teeth.
Now, one is nearly constant, often severe pain. I've been back, she said it's merely that one of the filling "was a bit high", drilled it down, and advised me to take ibuprofen and the pain should be gone within 48 hours. Not so much, it hasn't subsided much.
This is just beginning, I'll be into her office again tomorrow. I anticipate "root canal" this time around, we'll see. My problem is, I don't want this dentist drilling anymore! I've had her work on my teeth only once, and it hasn't worked out very well for me.
I think the best solution is for this dentist to pay another to fix this problem. Not bill me or my insurance.
I plan on obtaining the very recent x-rays taken before the drilling. The drilled cavity shouldn't really be any larger than the old one, as there was no evidence of decay, the old filling was intact. It should be very demonstrable whether she drilled deeper than needed to just remove the old filling.
I also experienced a similar situation after my life long dentist retired, I went to a new dentist after losing a filling. During my initial exam the new dentist decided to drill & prep my tooth for a temporary filling,when I returned for the treatment appointment, he drilled it our AGAIN, while drilling he stated "wow I'm in the pulp,I guess there was less tooth there than I thought, she's going to need a root canal" I was not experiencing any pain or discomfort with that tooth or any others prior to Dr. Drill Happy started destroying my teeth! I wasn't pleased, but I accepted the possibility that I waited too long to have the filling replaced so I followed up w/an endodontist for a root canal. I suspected that Dr Drill Happy had forgotten that he'd already repaired that tooth during the initial exam & failed to document the procedure in my records, therefore he proceeded to drill our his 1st filling & ended up drilling into the pulp. The next tooth he couldn't leave alone was a tooth I'd previously had a root canal on, he kept telling me it needed a root canal & I repeatedly told him I already had a root canal in that tooth, he insisted there was decay under the filling, I assumed he knew what he was doing, however he drilled out 1/2 of my natural tooth structure as well as the rubber core which got stuck in his drill the 1st time he drilled on that tooth. He failed to replace the core & simply put in a resin filling. At the next visit he said the filling had a small crack that was at risk of causing decay, he drilled into the pulp of that tooth as well, however he failed to acknowledge his error, filled the tooth & sent me on my way. After the head numbing lidocaine wore off my tooth was throbbing & had that death tooth feeling. Within a day or 2, I noticed a gum boil. When I returned a week later for another unnecessary 'filling replacement' I pointed out that I developed a gum boil above the tooth he'd just 'repaired' after some convincing that it wasn't 'always like that' or 'just the way my gum is' he took an xray & confirmed my suspicion, that my tooth was essentially dead & would need another root canal, courtesy of Dr.Drill Happy. However, he refused to accept responsibility or offer any pro-bono resolution except that if the gum boil stopped draining I could come in to let him lance it. Within a year this dentist destroyed 3 of my teeth (including drilling my root canal molar down to the gum line) & caused hypersensitivity in another molar. I switched providers at the same clinic & made numerous complaints about the catastrophic damage he had caused, however the clinic has refused to repair the damage their dentist caused unless I pay them to do so. Soon after he left the clinic & now the clinic manager stated there's "nothing they can do to help without payment, since that dentist is no longer employed with them & because it happened before she started working there. She also pointed put that I signed a 'treatment authorization before each procedure' as if that authorization waives their liability for malpractice. I'm infuriated that they refuse to accept any responsibility for the catastrophic damage their dentist caused, not to mention the pain & astronomical expense to correct the damage. I was naive to trust a new dentist, I had an amazing dentist for 30+yrs therefore, I never considered the risk I was taking by trusting a dentist with my teeth. It never occurred to me that a dentist could or would carelessly or purposely cause more damage or worse kill 2 healthy teeth. I've since suspected he purposely caused damage & performed unnecessary procedures to collect more money, prior to this experience that thought would've never occurred to me. In the future I will choose my dentists wisely, through personal references & I'll NEVER allow another dentist to touch my teeth without checking their reviews & license history!
I'd like some advice & suggestions about my legal options regarding my situation.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #22
Unregistered

Quote:
I also experienced a similar situation after my life long dentist retired, I went to a new dentist after losing a filling. During my initial exam the new dentist decided to perfom the filling during the initial exam. When I returned for the treatment appointment, he drilled it out AGAIN, I assumed the 1st filling was just a temporary fix & he was replacing the temp filling with a permanent filling. While drilling he stated "wow I'm in the pulp,I guess there was less tooth there than I thought, she's going to need a root canal". I was not experiencing any pain or discomfort with that tooth or any others prior to Dr. Drill Happy destroying my teeth! I wasn't pleased, but I accepted the possibility that maybe I waited too long to have the filling replaced. They quoted me for a root canal, post & core build up & added it to my treatment plan. I've heard horror stories about root canals done by general dentists so I followed up w/my endodontist for a root canal. I suspected that Dr Drill Happy had forgotten that he'd already repaired that tooth during the initial exam & failed to document the procedure in my records, therefore he proceeded to drill out his 1st filling & ended up drilling into the pulp. The next tooth he couldn't leave alone was a tooth I'd previously had a root canal on, he kept telling me it needed a root canal & I repeatedly told him I already had a root canal in that tooth, he insisted there was decay under the filling, I assumed he knew what he was doing, however the 1st time he drilled out 1/2 of my natural tooth structure as well as the rubber core which got stuck in his drill the 1st time he drilled on that tooth, the 2nd time he drilled out the other 1/2 of my natural tooth structure while he was supposed to be repairing the filling he placed the 1st time after it fell out. He failed to replace the core & simply put in a resin filling, I ended up with a huge resin filling over the remnants of my natural tooth which kept falling out. At the next visit he said another filling on a different tooth had a small crack that was at risk of causing decay, he drilled into the pulp of that tooth as well, however he failed to acknowledge his error, filled the tooth & sent me on my way. After the head numbing lidocaine wore off my tooth was throbbing & had that deadeath hollow tooth feeling. Within a day or 2, I noticed a gum boil. When I returned a week later for another unnecessary 'filling replacement' I pointed out that I developed a gum boil above the tooth he'd just 'repaired' & that the tooth felt dead. After some convincing that it wasn't 'always like that' or 'just the way my gum is' he took an xray & confirmed my suspicion, that my tooth was essentially dead & would need another root canal, courtesy of Dr.Drill Happy. However, he refused to accept responsibility or offer any pro-bono resolution, except, that if the gum boil stopped draining I could come in to let him lance it. Within a year this dentist destroyed 3 of my teeth (including drilling my root canal molar down to the gum line) & caused hypersensitivity in another molar. I switched providers at the same clinic & made numerous complaints about the catastrophic damage he had caused, however the clinic has refused to repair the damage their dentist caused unless I pay them to do so. Soon after he left the clinic & the clinic manager stated there's "nothing they can do to help without payment, since "it's been over 1yr" & that dentist is no longer employed with them & because it happened before she started working there, despite the fact that I made numerous complaints throughout the year only to have them give me estimates. She also pointed out that I signed a 'treatment authorization before each procedure' as if that authorization waives their liability for malpractice & my rights to competent treatment. I'm infuriated that they refuse to accept any responsibility for the catastrophic damage their dentist caused, not to mention the pain & astronomical expense to correct the damage. I was naive to trust a new dentist, I had an amazing dentist for 30+yrs therefore, I never considered the risk I was taking by trusting a dentist with my teeth. It never occurred to me that a dentist could or would carelessly or purposely cause more damage or kill 2 healthy teeth. I've since suspected he purposely caused damage & performed unnecessary procedures to collect more money, prior to this experience that thought would've never occurred to me. In the future I will choose my dentists wisely, through personal references & I'll NEVER allow another dentist to touch my teeth without checking their reviews & license history!
I'd like some advice & suggestions about my legal options regarding my situation.
Excuse the typos & stupid autocorrect/prediction.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #23
Unregistered

I also experienced a similar situation after my life long dentist retired, I went to a new dentist after losing a filling. During my initial exam the new dentist decided to perfom the filling during the initial exam. When I returned for the treatment appointment, he drilled it out AGAIN, I assumed the 1st filling was just a temporary fix & he was replacing the temp filling with a permanent filling. While drilling he stated "wow I'm in the pulp,I guess there was less tooth there than I thought, she's going to need a root canal". I was not experiencing any pain or discomfort with that tooth or any others prior to Dr. Drill Happy destroying my teeth! I wasn't pleased, but I accepted the possibility that maybe I waited too long to have the filling replaced. They quoted me for a root canal, post & core build up & added it to my treatment plan. I've heard horror stories about root canals done by general dentists so I followed up w/my endodontist for a root canal. I suspected that Dr Drill Happy had forgotten that he'd already repaired that tooth during the initial exam & failed to document the procedure in my records, therefore he proceeded to drill out his 1st filling & ended up drilling into the pulp. The next tooth he couldn't leave alone was a tooth I'd previously had a root canal on, he kept telling me it needed a root canal & I repeatedly told him I already had a root canal in that tooth, he insisted there was decay under the filling, I assumed he knew what he was doing, however the 1st time he drilled out 1/2 of my natural tooth structure as well as the rubber core which got stuck in his drill the 1st time he drilled on that tooth, the 2nd time he drilled out the other 1/2 of my natural tooth structure while he was supposed to be repairing the filling he placed the 1st time after it fell out. He failed to replace the core & simply put in a resin filling, I ended up with a huge resin filling over the remnants of my natural tooth which kept falling out. At the next visit he said another filling on a different tooth had a small crack that was at risk of causing decay, he drilled into the pulp of that tooth as well, however he failed to acknowledge his error, filled the tooth & sent me on my way. After the head numbing lidocaine wore off my tooth was throbbing & had that deadeath hollow tooth feeling. Within a day or 2, I noticed a gum boil. When I returned a week later for another unnecessary 'filling replacement' I pointed out that I developed a gum boil above the tooth he'd just 'repaired' & that the tooth felt dead. After some convincing that it wasn't 'always like that' or 'just the way my gum is' he took an xray & confirmed my suspicion, that my tooth was essentially dead & would need another root canal, courtesy of Dr.Drill Happy. However, he refused to accept responsibility or offer any pro-bono resolution, except, that if the gum boil stopped draining I could come in to let him lance it. Within a year this dentist destroyed 3 of my teeth (including drilling my root canal molar down to the gum line) & caused hypersensitivity in another molar. I switched providers at the same clinic & made numerous complaints about the catastrophic damage he had caused, however the clinic has refused to repair the damage their dentist caused unless I pay them to do so. Soon after he left the clinic & the clinic manager stated there's "nothing they can do to help without payment, since "it's been over 1yr" & that dentist is no longer employed with them & because it happened before she started working there, despite the fact that I made numerous complaints throughout the year only to have them give me estimates. She also pointed out that I signed a 'treatment authorization before each procedure' as if that authorization waives their liability for malpractice & my rights to competent treatment. I'm infuriated that they refuse to accept any responsibility for the catastrophic damage their dentist caused, not to mention the pain & astronomical expense to correct the damage. I was naive to trust a new dentist, I had an amazing dentist for 30+yrs therefore, I never considered the risk I was taking by trusting a dentist with my teeth. It never occurred to me that a dentist could or would carelessly or purposely cause more damage or kill 2 healthy teeth. I've since suspected he purposely caused damage & performed unnecessary procedures to collect more money, prior to this experience that thought would've never occurred to me. In the future I will choose my dentists wisely, through personal references & I'll NEVER allow another dentist to touch my teeth without checking their reviews & license history!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
My current case is similar - though I had no decay, no cracked filling. The dentist indicated that four filling should be replaced as "they were a bit worn down" due to "grinding my teeth". I had no discomfort or any bother with these teeth. NO warnings or cautions were given by this dentist at any time, before, during or after her drilling out these four teeth.
Now, one is nearly constant, often severe pain. I've been back, she said it's merely that one of the filling "was a bit high", drilled it down, and advised me to take ibuprofen and the pain should be gone within 48 hours. Not so much, it hasn't subsided much.
This is just beginning, I'll be into her office again tomorrow. I anticipate "root canal" this time around, we'll see. My problem is, I don't want this dentist drilling anymore! I've had her work on my teeth only once, and it hasn't worked out very well for me.
I think the best solution is for this dentist to pay another to fix this problem. Not bill me or my insurance.
I plan on obtaining the very recent x-rays taken before the drilling. The drilled cavity shouldn't really be any larger than the old one, as there was no evidence of decay, the old filling was intact. It should be very demonstrable whether she drilled deeper than needed to just remove the old filling.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #25
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Drilled too deep (went to a dentist to fill two cavities)

Have a med mal attorney review your case. Only they can determine if you really have a case.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Unregistered

Dentisrty is an art not a science--you can't always be sure that every dental job will be 100% successful.

Talk to friends and get a reliable dedicated dentist; that the best you can do. IMO

Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #27
Dontyouworry
Top Level Member
Dontyouworry's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

View Member's Facebook Profile

Quote:
Dentisrty is an art not a science--you can't always be sure that every dental job will be 100% successful.

Talk to friends and get a reliable dedicated dentist; that the best you can do. IMO
Agree to that totally!!
Dontyouworry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
Unregistered

Ask around before you use any dentist.
The law isn't really gonna protect you on that issue.
There are no ways to measure legally who is a truly bad dentist.
And malpractice for supposedly drilling too deep is very hard to prove.
It would have to be really bad.