USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

This is a crazy tenant issue? What legal action do I take or prepare for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dunbroke5
    • Jun 2011

This is a crazy tenant issue? What legal action do I take or prepare for?

My sister died last fall and left me her home in TX. I live 3 hours away in OK. The tenants who just moved out at the end of May helped me find new tenants. The new tenants a 50 something unmarried couple took possession of the home June 1st after signing a 2 YEAR LEASE AGREEMENT. They each pd with their own check 1/2 of the deposit ($700) each for a total deposit of $1400. A $1400 check was sent for June's rent by the lady. Here's where it gets crazy...The lady called and wanted to paint the entire inside of the house. I told her to paint what she liked as previous renters had left areas that needed touch ups. A few days later, she called wanting to have professionals come in and paint and do some minor repairs and they happen to be friends of hers that she trusted. She stated they had given her a $1250 quote to paint every interior room, ceilings, vents and trim and fix small problems. My part would be $625 (half of the quote). I agreed to this as it sounded like a good investment. I asked her to send me an invoice outlining EVERYTHING that was going to be done to the home, the TOTAL cost for EVERYTHING, and MY TOTAL out of pocket expense. I also told her she would have to approve the work as I would not travel 3 hours to inspect it. The painting occurred the first weekend in June...The lady calls me the following Friday and informs me the boyfriend died in his sleep the night before at their apartment. It gets better...She informs me she cannot live in the house since this was something they were doing together. I totally understand this...But the following Monday which was yesterday (the day before the funeral) she contacts me and tells me the bill for the paint/repairs is $2850. That her 84 year old mother had made the deal w/ the contractor and lied about the total cost. Now she wants me to let her be in charge of finding new tenants @ $1700 per month and she will use the $300 over my expected rent to pay the contractor. Please HELP...I don't know what to do and I'm afraid the contractor can put a lien against my home. I never signed anything, never spoke to the contractor and never saw the invoice I requested. Also, I have a man who wants to move in July 1st if and when she moves. Do I have entitlement to the June rent I received and the deposit since I am willing to let her out of a 2 yr lease? What legal action do I take or prepare for?
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

re: This is a crazy tenant issue? What legal action do I take or prepare for?

I wish to inform you that you can have rent for month of June. In this regard you can have a claim towards your losses which will include June rent. As regards deposit amount you are required to return after deducting your losses and you must provide a list of items where security amount has been adjusted. You cannot be made liable to pay for any amount above what have been agreed with you. Painter cannot have lien because he had not painted at your consent or information. You can be held liable only for the quotation provided to you. Painter can have remedy against the tenants mother because painter contract is with tenant's mother.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red dog is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...