Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BANKRUPTCY and DEBT COLLECTIONS > Debt Collection

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
jaksdxb
jaksdxb's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

Default Debt collection Dubai

Long story short. I had a loan of 400k with NBAD which I paid the EMIs regularly for 12 months. I was made redundant in dec 2015. I was without a job for 10 months, however ensured I never defaulted more than 3 payments as advised by the collection department personnel.

Even after paying them as advised a case was filed and I was given a 3 month jail sentence. I appealed against this verdict and the verdict of my appeal was a fine. The case was cleared.

NBAD assigned a debt collection company. They are now harassing me at my work place and by calling me. They have no idea of my case.

1. Kindly advise on how I can stop these guys from coming to my office. Last afternoon this guy came to my office and started shouting at my pro and when my pro reacted angrily he left the office. please advise on what they can do and how I can stop them.

2. I have a court clearance paper. If I apply for a police clearance certificate for official purpose will this case be mentioned in the PCC.

Appreciate if you can help or advise.
jaksdxb is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Debt collection Dubai

I wish to inform you that you may file complaint with law enforcement agencies regarding harassment caused by other party. In this regard as you have paid fine as ordered by court thus you may argue that dispute has been resolved through court. Further as debt default is a criminal offence in UAE therefore its decision may be mentioned in PCC.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

If you have proper documentation of the clearance of the debt you should communicate it with the debt collector. You should also inform them that further demanding for repayment of a debt already cleared is illegal. If the collection agency continues to demand repayment you can file a complaint regarding this in the law enforcement.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
jaksdxb
jaksdxb's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

Proper documentation of clearance of debt? The verdict on the case was a fine. Which I paid and got myself a court clearance letter. Is this documentation of clearance of debt?

My issue is the debt collection agency keeps calling me asking for documents and details. And 1s in a month they send their most aggressive guy to my office.

Would it be advisable to approach someone for legal help in this regard. Please point me in the right direction.

I do not wish to enter into any agreement with debt collectors for repayment. The bank made me go through trauma for 1 year just because i didnt pay them for 2 months.
jaksdxb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Pakistani999
Pakistani999's Flag is: Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksdxb View Post
Long story short. I had a loan of 400k with NBAD which I paid the EMIs regularly for 12 months. I was made redundant in dec 2015. I was without a job for 10 months, however ensured I never defaulted more than 3 payments as advised by the collection department personnel.

Even after paying them as advised a case was filed and I was given a 3 month jail sentence. I appealed against this verdict and the verdict of my appeal was a fine. The case was cleared.

NBAD assigned a debt collection company. They are now harassing me at my work place and by calling me. They have no idea of my case.

1. Kindly advise on how I can stop these guys from coming to my office. Last afternoon this guy came to my office and started shouting at my pro and when my pro reacted angrily he left the office. please advise on what they can do and how I can stop them.

2. I have a court clearance paper. If I apply for a police clearance certificate for official purpose will this case be mentioned in the PCC.

Hi can you please advise how much was the fine you had to pay? I am also in same situation with Personal Loan of 445900 out of which just 160K is remaining but I am not able to pay as I don't have a job now.
Regards
Pakistani999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakistani999 View Post
Hi can you please advise how much was the fine you had to pay? I am also in same situation with Personal Loan of 445900 out of which just 160K is remaining but I am not able to pay as I don't have a job now.
Regards
It depends totally upon the judge. I had a personal loan from Noor bank and the cheque amount was 445K. The first court gave me a sentence of 3months. In the appeal court, the fine was just 5,000.

My friend had a similar issue. First court gave him a sentence of 3months. Appeal court reduced it to 1month.

It is always advisable to consult a lawyer in appeal court

Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #7
Pakistani999
Pakistani999's Flag is: Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It depends totally upon the judge. I had a personal loan from Noor bank and the cheque amount was 445K. The first court gave me a sentence of 3months. In the appeal court, the fine was just 5,000.

My friend had a similar issue. First court gave him a sentence of 3months. Appeal court reduced it to 1month.

It is always advisable to consult a lawyer in appeal court
How much time you had to stay in prison while the appeal was processed.
Regards
Pakistani999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Dontyouworry
Top Level Member
Dontyouworry's Flag is: United Arab Emirates

View Member's Facebook Profile

Quote:

When the collection agent is at your work place creating mess, call up the police and inform the situation, police will advise them to file a case on you than creating issues such. If they have filed a case already, unless you issue them a new cheque, bank cannot file anymore cases on you.
Dontyouworry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Dontyouworry
Top Level Member

Quote:
Proper documentation of clearance of debt? The verdict on the case was a fine. Which I paid and got myself a court clearance letter. Is this documentation of clearance of debt?

My issue is the debt collection agency keeps calling me asking for documents and details. And 1s in a month they send their most aggressive guy to my office.

Would it be advisable to approach someone for legal help in this regard. Please point me in the right direction.

I do not wish to enter into any agreement with debt collectors for repayment. The bank made me go through trauma for 1 year just because i didnt pay them for 2 months.
Legally nothing ekse they could do as they have already bounced the cheque and filed a case on you. Annoying you, harassing you and repeated calls will continue as you have only closed the case of cheque dishonor and the amount is yet to be claimed from you. So they would try everything possible until one day when they cannot figure out where you are.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Dontyouworry
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakistani999 View Post
How much time you had to stay in prison while the appeal was processed.
Regards
The appeal will be done be the Lawyer after a Kafala is taken for the defendant, so it is on the Lawyer how quick he gets you out on bail.