Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
cosmicnoir
cosmicnoir's Flag is: United States

Angry Singed a New Lease Under False Pretenses - Please Help!

Hello,

I'm seeking legal advice as at this point, I believe we've been mislead and re-signed our lease under false pretenses.

We are currently in a two-bedroom two-bath on a ground floor, but hated living on the ground floor and wanted to switch to our current apartment complexes one-bedroom one-den layout but not on the ground level.

We notified our leasing office (just one really rude lady) about our desires months ago, months before our original lease of one year was up. She told us that we were able to transfer our lease at any time, but that there were no one-bedroom one-dens available at the time. At that time, we were second on the list (second behind a pair of friends of ours, in fact).

Next, our friends who had been at the top of the list previously moved to another city and were removed from the list. We were told we were at the top of the list and assured over and over and OVER again (and I'm emphasizing it because of the rude and dramatic lies there were uncovered) that we were first in line for the desired apartment.

At the beginning of June, I believe it was either the 1st of the 2nd, when we paid rent, we were informed that a one-bedroom one den was available! On the top floor! It felt like a miracle. We had just re-singed our lease about a week before, still waiting to hear if anyone would give their notice for August 1st (it's a one month notice at this complex).

This is where it begins. At the time we took a trip out of state, but were told to come back immediatly after getting back to sign the new lease paperwork. We were so excited. We sent messages to friends, told all of our family. We were finally getting the perfect apartment to suit our needs and hopefully wouldn't have to move for a long time.

We showed up travel-tired but excited to the office after getting back, but were turned away, SO rudely (same women who told us we HAD to be there right away when we got back) saying that they weren't ready. I think it was at this point that they mentioned one of the two roommates hadn't given their notice and they weren't sure if they were moving.

We were a bit upset at this point, wondering how they couldn't know, as it was past the point of notice. Anyway, they said they would call them THAT day and find out and call us.

No call. No info. We go back in after a week, and the rude lady pretty much yells at us that they haven't gotten to it. At this point, which I believe was the 20th of July now, and I was pretty upset. I didn't know if I needed to pack or prepare or pay a new deposit. I also thought it was incredibly strange that they just didn't know!

Anyway, she shooed us from the office promising to call right away and get back to us. She called us 10 min later saying that the roommate had decided to stay, but she didn't have any other info.

How?

Next. My fiance happened to be biking home when he saw the roommate moving out. He stopped by to chat with her and see if there was any info to be gleaned. She indicated that it seemed like her roommate was also moving out.

Again, we asked the office on August 1st if anyone had given notice - "nope" they said.

Out of curiosity the other day we walked by and saw that it looked empty.

After a night of turmoil we decided to knock on the door just to ask how long the roommate was going to be staying, since the office still said they didn't know anything.

But guess who opened the door? The maintenance man. He said that everyone had moved out. He was very confused.

Then we go to the office. It's rude lady again. She looks at my fiance and sneers when he asks if they had heard anything, "We've been over this a few times, the roommate is staying." Now, he just stared at her, in disbelief at the blatant lie.

Then he says "Really? Because we just spoke to maintenance and they told us it was empty and they moved out."

"It's rented."

Jaws drop, we ask, "But not by the roommate...?"

"No, someone else. Look, I can't talk about this right now because I have to run to the bank."

At this point I had gotten pretty upset and asked her if she had been lying to us.

"I have to go to the bank, we can discuss this later."

I then say that we can wait there for her.

Next she replies "Well I have a meeting at 4:30 that I can't miss."

At this point I'm in complete shock and fury. Blatant lying and now she can't even tell us what the hell is going on?

I ask for a contact of the owner and she says she can only send a message but she has to go, and she will NOT discuss this with us. I said we can come back, then she informs me that she will not discuss this with us at all and we can send a message. Of course, at a later time.

Now, I will mention that there was another office lady (younger and doesn't do the heavy lifting so to speak) who had just come in with another couple.

As we left, we were livid. Absolutely livid. She lied to our faces and had the audacity to treat us like we were complete fools and a serious nuisance, even though we had just caught her in a lie that was costing us money and had enticed us to re-sign the lease.

Funny enough, we had the bright idea to go back and talk with the other office lady since the mean one said she was leaving.

At that point, I was so mad I couldn't go back and so asked my fiance to go without me.

Guess who was sitting in the office when he arrived? Guess who didn't actually go anywhere but sat there and lied again just so she could dodge our questions?

I guess there was some other person in the office, so she sweetly asked, "What can I do for you sir?"

All he got was that another manager for the leasing company would be coming by "sometime". There wasn't actually a way to send any damn message. Another lie. That's all we got.

I seriously feel sick. Maybe this isn't a big deal, but I'm so upset and feel disgusted. How long has she been lying to us? Please, someone tell me we have some sort of legal protection for signing a lease under a false pretense.

I'm just shocked. And she can't give us any information? What the actual hell?

Yours,

Shocked and Trapped

Last edited by cosmicnoir; 08-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
cosmicnoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Singed a New Lease Under False Pretenses - Please Help!

I'll read your post when you eliminate all the useless information and state the bare facts. I am not reading that novel as it stands.

Maybe someone else will have the patience to do so.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

I didn't read it all either, but I read enough to guess that you didn't get the apartment and you want to know if a lawsuit will punish anybody by taking some of their money and giving it to you.

The answer is no.

Next time your lease comes up, give notice that you are moving out, then find the apartment of your choice somewhere else.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
cosmicnoir
cosmicnoir's Flag is: United States

Haha, apologies. I thought that as much detail as possible would be preferred.

Basically, we re-signed our lease as we were first on the list for a particular apartment.

The apartment became available. They told us it was ours. Then we we came to sign they said the previous tenant was staying. Then we found out they actually moved out. We confronted the office manager who continued to lie to us, and when we told her that we knew they had moved out, and why we couldn't sign the lease, she said she rented it to someone else.

But the only reason we re-signed was because of their multiple assurances.
cosmicnoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicnoir View Post
Haha, apologies. I thought that as much detail as possible would be preferred.

Relevant details. Do you think anyone wants to wade through "details" like how your fiance went bike riding and how some woman was rude to you? Maybe you can submit that essay to a creative writing class but here it's better if you stick to the relevant facts.

Reading your last post you say you signed a lease but that also that you couldn't sign a lease. Huh?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicnoir View Post

But the only reason we re-signed was because of their multiple assurances.
Well, now you know. Multiple assurances mean nothing.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote