Legal Junkies Forums

Legal Junkies Forums (https://www.legaljunkies.com/index.php)
-   Neighbor Law (https://www.legaljunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   weed eating/grass trimming on neighbors side of fence (https://www.legaljunkies.com/showthread.php?t=72476)

tiffnmena 06-09-2014 09:36 AM

weed eating/grass trimming on neighbors side of fence

I put up a 6 foot polyvinyl privacy fence 2-3 months ago. The neighbors on each side of my house have lawn services that trim there yard right up to the fence. The backyard neighbor came to my house and insisted that the overgrown grass on his side of the yard against my fence is my responsibility. He wants me to come into his yard and trim this area on a regular basis. When the fence was installed I had a permit from the city. The fencing company used a survey and installed the fence 2-4 inches inside my property. So I guess technically there may be 1-3 inches outside the fence that are still my property. I called city code and they told me I'd be trespassing if I entered the neighbors yard and there is no violation if the grass against the fence is not trimmed. Who should trim the grass against the neighbors side of the fence?

Thanks

AFFA 06-09-2014 01:34 PM

Re: weed eating/grass trimming on neighbors side of fence

I wish to inform you that if grass is grown on your side of the property then you may have to get it trimmed. However, you can enter your neighbor's property only with the permission of the neighbor and trim the grass at the edge of the property on your side across the fence. You may request the neighbor for an amicable resolution of the matter.

AFF

Disagreeable 06-09-2014 11:23 PM

I suggest you buy a weed whacker and a step ladder.

gail in georgia 06-10-2014 07:52 AM

So what is your neighbor going to do if you don't trim "his" side of the fence? Sue you for overgrown grass?

What nonsense. I'd ignore this demand.

Gail

Friend In Court 06-10-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffnmena (Post 349567)
I put up a 6 foot polyvinyl privacy fence 2-3 months ago. The neighbors on each side of my house have lawn services that trim there yard right up to the fence. The backyard neighbor came to my house and insisted that the overgrown grass on his side of the yard against my fence is my responsibility. He wants me to come into his yard and trim this area on a regular basis. When the fence was installed I had a permit from the city. The fencing company used a survey and installed the fence 2-4 inches inside my property. So I guess technically there may be 1-3 inches outside the fence that are still my property. I called city code and they told me I'd be trespassing if I entered the neighbors yard and there is no violation if the grass against the fence is not trimmed. Who should trim the grass against the neighbors side of the fence?

Thanks

If the 2 to 4" is actually your property, then you should trim it. You would not be trespassing since the neighbor ASKED you to come over and trim it. So much for taking your legal advice from city code inspectors.

Keeping good relations with a neighbor is always the best policy. So keep the grass trimmed. If you don't and he maintains it, eventually he will own those inches of your property by adverse possession.

Lexus 06-11-2014 08:24 AM

You will need to look at the survey and see who owns the land. Usually, each owner should mow his or her own side of the fence. A judge likely is not going to order the neighbor to let you onto the neighbor's property to maintain his side of fence. Your situation might have different issues. Further, you can't stop someone from suing you. Therefore, contact an attorney to review your situation in detail.

Unregistered 06-06-2018 05:15 PM

Personally I would use weed killer on the 2 inches next to the fence. That way i wouldnt have to weed whip it constantly. Or put some kind of stone or paver there.

adjusterjack 06-06-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 372412)
Personally I would use weed killer on the 2 inches next to the fence. That way i wouldnt have to weed whip it constantly. Or put some kind of stone or paver there.

Personally, I can't believe you were stupid enough to add to a 4 year old thread.

smh.

Unregistered 06-07-2018 07:39 AM

adjuster, I just found this thread today on Google.

The threads don't die, and 4 yr old info still helps somebody seeing it for the first time.

Highwayman 06-07-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 372434)
The threads don't die, and 4 yr old info still helps somebody seeing it for the first time.

Yes, they do. Responding to a long dead thread is useless and wastes everyone's time. The OP has long gone so your answer is useless. IF someone else has a similar issue they should start their own thread.

If this forum actually had a moderator or administrator this thread would be locked.