Legal Junkies Forums

Legal Junkies Forums (https://www.legaljunkies.com/index.php)
-   Small Claims Courts (https://www.legaljunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Help from a friend at small claims court? (https://www.legaljunkies.com/showthread.php?t=87169)

nabb 88 08-10-2018 04:23 AM

Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
New York

Can my friend who is not a lawyer appear with me at small claims and do the talking and the presentation of my case for me?
I feel I will be too nervous to do a good job.
Thank you.

Highwayman 08-10-2018 12:06 PM

Re: Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
No. If you can't speak then you'll have to hire an attorney.

Only a licensed attorney can represent you.

Unregistered 09-02-2018 01:00 PM

Re: Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabb 88 (Post 373979)
New York

Can my friend who is not a lawyer appear with me at small claims and do the talking and the presentation of my case for me?
I feel I will be too nervous to do a good job.
Thank you.

Your friend can appear as a witness if he or she also knows the situation. He can do a lot of the talking as a witness.

Highwayman 09-02-2018 07:35 PM

Re: Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 374619)
Your friend can appear as a witness if he or she also knows the situation.

"Knowing a situation" does not mean he is a witness.

Lexus 09-03-2018 08:53 AM

Re: Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
If the court find that you are unable to properly represent your case, the court will only allow a lawyer to represent you.

Highwayman 09-04-2018 08:51 PM

Re: Help from a friend at small claims court?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexus (Post 374637)
If the court find that you are unable to properly represent your case, the court will only allow a lawyer to represent you.

You like parroting other posters, don't you?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.