Binder and Binder -- what should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: Binder and Binder -- what should I do?

I used to work at Binder as well. It's amazing to me how accurate all of the stories are by my other former employees. Reading it now, after years of being free from them, it's hard to believe it's all true, but it is. I agree most with the lawyer on page 2 who characterized it as great training. This is absolutely true. I took what I learned from Binder and turned it into a good job at a great office for a great boss with a small staff. If you're at Binder for the long haul, you are in big trouble.

Comment

• Unregistered

I am also a former employee of B&B. I am one of those non-attorney advocates that it appears most people on this site are unhappy about having at your hearing. I had a strong background in Social Security prior to working with B&B and went to work there when I moved to a new city and desperately needed a job, any job. Although I suspect most of these posts are likely talking about the working conditions in the larger offices, there are similar problems in the smaller offices too.

That being said, I must admit that I received a lot of valuable training and experience working there. I left there and went to another company, not a law firm, where I continue to competently represent claimants, and where I have continued to go way above and beyond what is necessary in an advocate/client relationship.

Of course, everyone does not need to hire a representative. Just remember: most of us really are in it to help people that need it. God knows that the money and benefits did not keep any of us working there.

Comment

• Unregistered

I use to work for Binder and Binder in the Tampa offce until a couple of month ago. The branch manager there is a mess, all she cares is about herself and making sure she looks good in front of Binder & Binder. It is true they work really hard and don't get any breaks just their lunch. You are watched if you get off your chair to use the bathroom. The supervisor from the Intake Department followed one of her staff to the bathroom to make sure this person was going there. Is rediculus but true they are a piece of work. This supervisor from the intake department has had so many people come and go. All the years she has been working there is just trainning ppl bc they leave. She is so bossy and thinks she is running an elementary class. Other supervisors there are ok but it is crazy in there. Is not worth any money for all the stress you get there. Plus you don't get vacation time, personal day, or sick days. You have to accrue these days and all you get is 11 hour I believe if you work a whole month. If you get sick there goes that day. Is just ridiculous. They don't care if you have family or not if you have a child in school and they get sick you have to find someone to watch your kids bc if not you get written up bc you don't have the time. I would not recommend this place to work. Oh look how unfair this place is, there was once a spread of influenza and they told their workers they can go home but they will take that day off from your vacation time. Can you believe it?? crazy.

Where I'm working now is professional and they close the office for any reason we don't get paid for it but we have the choice if we want to use our vacation or personal time.

SO HAPPY TO BE OUT OF THERE FROM THE HELLL OFFICE...

Comment

• Unregistered

PLEASE HELP...My question is if I protest Binder & Binder's fee, will I have to wait longer than the 15 day with holding period for my back pay benefits??? PLEASE HELP I had a hearing with ODAR and a great Judge and won my SSD, but due to numerous reasons, many of which have been posted here, I am protesting the fee of $6000 dollars. I chased down and paid for ALL medical records, multiple impairment questionnaire, paid fees left and right for records, (even duplicates because Binder & Binder did NOT bother to find out weather the records they were requesting had been updated in the 1 month interval between the last time Binder & Binder had me request and pay for them, again.) To top it off my rep requested I be 1/2 hour early for my hearing so we could go over our strategy, but he was LATE, of course. We spoke for less than 5 minutes before we were called into see the Admin Law Judge. I felt so unprepared and overwhelmed because I did NOT know what to expect I asked for a copy of all or part of my file, before they send it to be destroyed, and yep you guessed it, Binder & Binder wants me to pay another fee to give me medical records I PAID FOR IN THE 1ST PLACE!!! I am protesting the fee of $6000 dollars. I did 2/3 of the work, Binder & Binder did 1/3 so I sent a letter to the judge offering them $2000 from my back benefits. It's only fair, Binder & Binder only did 1/3 of the work they should only get 1/3 of the fee.

Comment

• Unregistered

You can file a fee complaint with the State Bar or sue them in small claims.

Maybe they will compromise if you tell them you plan next steps...

Comment

• cinders56
              • Apr 2011

Well just as I thought.. thanks for the info. I have the same things going on with Fred Flemming and Associates. Another cattle call of non attorneys. I was greeted by a poorly dressed kid in a tie that didnt' get enough of a good hit before we met. I sware he was high as he sucked as a lawyer. In fact I felt like I was going back in time to my hippie days.. The guy met me at the SSI office. didn't discuse my case.. didn't know me or my issues from Adam and didn't give a crap either. The law firm stinks. I had a huge argument with the secretary and asked to speak to her supervisior.. ha.. they gave me her!! Nevertheless she and I are doing fine but the law (make believe) firm sucks. Just like Binder and Binder.. love em or loose em.. I vote for loose em!!
              Cynthia Scott

Comment

• rabideausheena
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by FormerBinderAtty
                I am a former Binder attorney, and I have no qualms in writing this because you can't get in trouble for telling the truth.

In my experience, Binder is the last stop for the desperate. The process of applying for Social Security disability benefits is long and depressing, and a lot of people avoid calling a representative until the last minute. Got a hearing tomorrow? Binder will be there or be square.

The earlier post does accurately portray the treatment of client files at the Binder office where I worked.
                It also accurately portrays the working conditions. If you're thinking of working for Binder, think of it more as a long-term temp job/learning experience. No one should plan to work there permanently, because there is no HR department. The benefits are a joke, with the punchline being, "There are none."

If you're a Social Security disability claimant, do the little bit of legwork needed to find a local law firm to represent you. It may be a little more difficult, but you will get real representation by people who may actually care about you. You will be able to call your attorney. They will develop your medical evidence.

REMEMBER: Binder and Binder is NOT a law firm. It is not a law firm because there are non-attorney representatives working there.

If you sign up with Binder, you may be assigned a non-attorney representative OR an inexperienced attorney due to high turnover which results from the working conditions described above. You probably will not find out until the last minute who is representing you, possibly at your hearing. Binder does have good attorneys and non-attorneys there, but you are casting the dice as to who you get assigned. Asking won't help.

Keep in mind that Binder sells itself as "experts" in Social Security disability claims. However, the reality is that many Social Security judges do not take Binder representatives seriously because so many have passed through their courtroom that at least one probably left a bad impression.

Binder spends its money on advertising, not clients. Clients are simply the vehicle by which Binder rakes in the cash. "Don't love the client," is occasionally heard in the halls, though it's by no means an official motto for the company, which sells itself as being full of very nice people.

Proceed with caution before signing any agreement with Binder. They will put up quite a fight before withdrawing as your representative, because that would mean forfeiting their fee. Although your file will sit on their floor, they will generate "work" entries to later justify to Social Security why they should be paid for their time--even if you protest.

Finally, if you have a lot of children, be careful with Binder. Their fee agreement is written such that Social Security will pay them the full fee ($6K or up to 25% of past-due benefits) from the benefits of EACH ONE of your family members who receives payments. This includes you and each one of your children.

If you find a local attorney, you may be able to speak to them about this concern. That attorney may be willing to draft a kinder, gentler fee agreement which reflects the reality that those benefits may be paid to 2 or 3 or 4 people... but it's all linked to the attorney's ability to prove ONE issue, and that is your disability.

Good luck with your disability claim.

Im not sure if you check this site or not, but anyone is open to give me advice...

I have been jumping through all the hoops with binder and binder and I am getting ticked off. I have had 4 case workers since Aug of 2010. I have been denied 2 times and they just sent in my apeal to see the judge. I am lossing my house I have less tahn 30 days to get out. My family is falling apart from all of this!!!! We don't have the money to move, we have to depend on the very little tax money that my husband is getting back. My husband and I have a 3 year old girl together and I am on the verge of a f-ing brake down!!!

I got a call today from some random lady at B&B telling me that they submitted my case, and I will have a new caseworker....But, when I called back to talk to the new caseworker the lady told me that she hasnt been asigned to my case yet....She was very uncaring...she kept trying to let me go as I am balling my eyes out!! ITs been 9 months with B&B and thats not including what I did on my own trying to win my case. In total its been since 2009 since I have became disabled...There is no reason for this nonsense!!!!

Tell me that they are going to expidite my case back in Jan. and its towards the end of April NOW!!!!!

What are they doing???!!!! I know that it can take time to win claims and all but my goodness..What is there that I can do...? My husband is about to go insane too because he is the only provider and this is taking a toll on us so badly. We have been together and married in total 10 years and this long process is going to brake up a happy family and create two insane people if it doesn't speed up!!!!! Not only am I suffering with Connective Tissue Disease, Fibro, Depression, Anxiety, driving phobia, chronic joint pain, bulging discs...My house HAS BEEN FORCLOSED ON, my husband is getting super depressed, I am so depressed and my anxiety is at boiling point....How am I to move my family out of our home that we have owned for 6 years WITH NO money!!! Where is my family going to live???? I am screaming for HELP!!!!! All my resources like DHS and Comunity programs are used up. We cant get anymore help on our electric bills because we have used up all that too... Section 8 isnt availible and is closed...WHAT DO I DO?????

This is not fair and there is no reason that this caase should be takign this long to process....Its been since 2009 with my doctors backing me up and so on!!! I did however qualify for medicaid in the state of Michigan becausE I am disabled. I had to fill out lots of forms and have doctors help with them too just like ss...And, in medicaids opinion I am disabled!!!

PLEASE, anyone that can help me I am begging for you to help me!!!!!!
                I am scared and in pain very very depressedd full of anxiety and feel as though I am about to snap.....

Comment

• Unregistered

BINDER & BINDER TRUTHFULLY

I have been at Binder and Binder for a LONG time although some of the things they do are probably illegal the point is more cases are won than denied.. WE bust our ass to make sure the clis get what is needed.. the people who are complaining SOME have valid points however they are PREVIOUS employees.

FOR CLIENTS
                  at any time if you feel like your being mis treated or they dont care ask for a supervisor or a manager or even a rep.. although they are not all attys they still have to take a required test and do a number of hearings before they can actually become Non-atty reps.

However if another opportunity comes up for another job i would suggest as the accrual time does suck, but honestly we are very specific in our letters that we send to clients about how we work. and at any time if you want another atty you can write a letter to drop us

I dont know about the other employees who are COMPLAINING but me personally i get joy out of hearing my clients say hey i won and i couldnt have done it without you.. Because although i am there for my family (to feed them) i am also there to make sure that my clients are treated fairly and professionally.. I know lots of my clients by voice even though i have 200 cases

so everyone should stop crying...

Comment

• Unregistered

I worked in the federal court dept there and did an excellent job....Binder has niece he puts incharge who is a monster...she is no people person, very unprofessional and poisons the mind of her uncle....It's a zoo there and they are every unprofessional...people with no training they put incharge.....if you are professional and hardworker do not go there to work. I agree with every comment made on her....and the 45 minutes lunch hour is ridiculous!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by rabideausheena
                      Im not sure if you check this site or not, but anyone is open to give me advice...

I have been jumping through all the hoops with binder and binder and I am getting ticked off. I have had 4 case workers since Aug of 2010. I have been denied 2 times and they just sent in my apeal to see the judge. I am lossing my house I have less tahn 30 days to get out. My family is falling apart from all of this!!!! We don't have the money to move, we have to depend on the very little tax money that my husband is getting back. My husband and I have a 3 year old girl together and I am on the verge of a f-ing brake down!!!

I got a call today from some random lady at B&B telling me that they submitted my case, and I will have a new caseworker....But, when I called back to talk to the new caseworker the lady told me that she hasnt been asigned to my case yet....She was very uncaring...she kept trying to let me go as I am balling my eyes out!! ITs been 9 months with B&B and thats not including what I did on my own trying to win my case. In total its been since 2009 since I have became disabled...There is no reason for this nonsense!!!!

Tell me that they are going to expidite my case back in Jan. and its towards the end of April NOW!!!!!

What are they doing???!!!! I know that it can take time to win claims and all but my goodness..What is there that I can do...? My husband is about to go insane too because he is the only provider and this is taking a toll on us so badly. We have been together and married in total 10 years and this long process is going to brake up a happy family and create two insane people if it doesn't speed up!!!!! Not only am I suffering with Connective Tissue Disease, Fibro, Depression, Anxiety, driving phobia, chronic joint pain, bulging discs...My house HAS BEEN FORCLOSED ON, my husband is getting super depressed, I am so depressed and my anxiety is at boiling point....How am I to move my family out of our home that we have owned for 6 years WITH NO money!!! Where is my family going to live???? I am screaming for HELP!!!!! All my resources like DHS and Comunity programs are used up. We cant get anymore help on our electric bills because we have used up all that too... Section 8 isnt availible and is closed...WHAT DO I DO?????

This is not fair and there is no reason that this caase should be takign this long to process....Its been since 2009 with my doctors backing me up and so on!!! I did however qualify for medicaid in the state of Michigan becausE I am disabled. I had to fill out lots of forms and have doctors help with them too just like ss...And, in medicaids opinion I am disabled!!!

PLEASE, anyone that can help me I am begging for you to help me!!!!!!
                      I am scared and in pain very very depressedd full of anxiety and feel as though I am about to snap.....
                      Hon, you're just getting started. I applied Feb. 2002 and was approved May 2011 with a stroke disease. I can communicate well with the written word but speech is not easy and not easy for others to understand. I had a local atty. that I had used for years for wills and the such however when it came to disability he would not spend the time to even file an appeal. He suggested filing a new claim instead of an appeal. I filed the appeal myself and was sent to an ALJ, hired B&B and over the next 8 years was sent back to the same ALJ. No matter what attorney you have they have no control over SS or the judge assigned to your case. God help you if you get satan’s sister as I did. The woman had a personal interest in not giving benefits to any darned old free loaders. I saw her each May six months later denied; six months later new hearing date, May with her, year after year. She made many errors in law and the appeals judges always reversed her but always back to her court. My B&B attorney filed to have her removed from my case due to years of her errors in applying the law and sometimes making it up as she went, but no always back to her court. I had the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt and many other doctors behind me for 9 years, a progressive terminal disease with no treatment other than to keep me somewhat comfortable, this judge did not care. My race is nearly run but I go knowing that I finely have something to help my husband pay off what we owe.

One bad attorney leaves a bad taste for all but the Social Security Admin. is what is broken, they are the ones that set each hearing 12 months apart not your attorney. They go into every case thinking free loaders and there are, I know many folks on disability that work 40+ hours a week roofing, working on engines, mowing lawns and get full disability. However those folks never lose benefits and we can't get them.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Hon, you're just getting started. I applied Feb. 2002 and was approved May 2011 with a stroke disease. I can communicate well with the written word but speech is not easy and not easy for others to understand. I had a local atty. that I had used for years for wills and the such however when it came to disability he would not spend the time to even file an appeal. He suggested filing a new claim instead of an appeal. I filed the appeal myself and was sent to an ALJ, hired B&B and over the next 8 years was sent back to the same ALJ. No matter what attorney you have they have no control over SS or the judge assigned to your case. God help you if you get satan’s sister as I did. The woman had a personal interest in not giving benefits to any darned old free loaders. I saw her each May six months later denied; six months later new hearing date, May with her, year after year. She made many errors in law and the appeals judges always reversed her but always back to her court. My B&B attorney filed to have her removed from my case due to years of her errors in applying the law and sometimes making it up as she went, but no always back to her court. I had the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt and many other doctors behind me for 9 years, a progressive terminal disease with no treatment other than to keep me somewhat comfortable, this judge did not care. My race is nearly run but I go knowing that I finely have something to help my husband pay off what we owe.

One bad attorney leaves a bad taste for all but the Social Security Admin. is what is broken, they are the ones that set each hearing 12 months apart not your attorney. They go into every case thinking free loaders and there are, I know many folks on disability that work 40+ hours a week roofing, working on engines, mowing lawns and get full disability. However those folks never lose benefits and we can't get them.

I wrote the above post all of the above statements are true, I had a good attorney. However, anyone reading this DO NOT sign with Binder & Binder until you know how much it will cost. My benefits were $20,000 short when I started asking questions I found out that Binder took it for his fees. I read that agreement top to bottom, it reads as though they can only get $6000 because that is all SS allows them to have. Not true, they can and will take 25%, a quote from their ad; “here’s how that works: if the back due benefits awarded to you and your family total $12,000, our fee would be simply 25% of $12,000, or $3000. However, if the back benefits awarded to you and your family were to total $24,000 or more, our fee would be $6000, because that’s the government mandated fee limitation.” Be aware before you sign with them because they will never discuss fees when you ask they will refer back to this letting you believe by omission that they are helping you for $6000. Yes I got my benefits but he got a car, who am I kidding he wouldn’t drive a $20,000 car but I would if I had the $20,000. My family just made it the last 9 years, no luxuries, no vacations, few name brand clothes (but a teen girl in high school has to have a little), store brand foods not name brands, no nights out at the movies and a husband that worked a full time job and two part time jobs seven days a week to pay the bills. Due to his hard work we were not eligible for any assistance, so our hopes were on the disability to pay our debtors.

I may or may not have signed with Binder if given full discloser and knowledge of how much money he would walk away with and if this is the way all law firms get paid one is as good as another but I should have been fully informed. It was my right to be fully informed. Know that the $6000 fee limitation is only if you just get $24,000 if you get $24,100 or more he gets 25% of everything. 25% of your past benefits 25% of your kids past benefits and 25% of your spouse’s past benefits if he/she should get anything. BEWARE.

Maybe all of us that have traveled this road to gather should become SS Advocates, we've been there done that and the needy wouldn't have to pay us for our knowledge formed from fire

Comment

• Unregistered

I suggest Lady to contact your congressperson; and they will look into the claim at SSA and then this will help iwth getting your case won. I hope this helps

Comment

• santiagodmerric
                            • Mar 2011

You better go through their website, all of the information you needed is already there.
                            FTC Attorney
                            Chicago Patent Lawyer
                            Dietary Supplement Lawyer

Comment

• Unregistered

My heart goes out to you, as I am finding myself in the same situation with B&B... They have had my case now for almost 8 months, and we are no farther along than the day I went into the LA office and signed up to have them take my case. I am on my second caseworker, and have talked with 3 different supervisors. I have been told they can not write to me or email me or fax me anything. All correspondance is by telephone only and only after my case is reviewed every 30 to 45 days. I have no income and am living off my savings and that will run out in less than 9 months, and they can not say if that is enough time to get " all the required information" they need for my case. I got from 2 of my doctors in one hour what B&B could not in 8 months. I would not recommend them to anyone to even take out the garabage. And I for the past 8 months thought I had hired an attorney only to be told oh no we are not attorneys. I have been lied to over and over and over. Binder and Binder you suck!!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by FormerBinderAtty
                                I am a former Binder attorney, and I have no qualms in writing this because you can't get in trouble for telling the truth.

In my experience, Binder is the last stop for the desperate. The process of applying for Social Security disability benefits is long and depressing, and a lot of people avoid calling a representative until the last minute. Got a hearing tomorrow? Binder will be there or be square.

The earlier post does accurately portray the treatment of client files at the Binder office where I worked.
                                It also accurately portrays the working conditions. If you're thinking of working for Binder, think of it more as a long-term temp job/learning experience. No one should plan to work there permanently, because there is no HR department. The benefits are a joke, with the punchline being, "There are none."

If you're a Social Security disability claimant, do the little bit of legwork needed to find a local law firm to represent you. It may be a little more difficult, but you will get real representation by people who may actually care about you. You will be able to call your attorney. They will develop your medical evidence.

REMEMBER: Binder and Binder is NOT a law firm. It is not a law firm because there are non-attorney representatives working there.

If you sign up with Binder, you may be assigned a non-attorney representative OR an inexperienced attorney due to high turnover which results from the working conditions described above. You probably will not find out until the last minute who is representing you, possibly at your hearing. Binder does have good attorneys and non-attorneys there, but you are casting the dice as to who you get assigned. Asking won't help.

Keep in mind that Binder sells itself as "experts" in Social Security disability claims. However, the reality is that many Social Security judges do not take Binder representatives seriously because so many have passed through their courtroom that at least one probably left a bad impression.

Binder spends its money on advertising, not clients. Clients are simply the vehicle by which Binder rakes in the cash. "Don't love the client," is occasionally heard in the halls, though it's by no means an official motto for the company, which sells itself as being full of very nice people.

Proceed with caution before signing any agreement with Binder. They will put up quite a fight before withdrawing as your representative, because that would mean forfeiting their fee. Although your file will sit on their floor, they will generate "work" entries to later justify to Social Security why they should be paid for their time--even if you protest.

Finally, if you have a lot of children, be careful with Binder. Their fee agreement is written such that Social Security will pay them the full fee ($6K or up to 25% of past-due benefits) from the benefits of EACH ONE of your family members who receives payments. This includes you and each one of your children.

If you find a local attorney, you may be able to speak to them about this concern. That attorney may be willing to draft a kinder, gentler fee agreement which reflects the reality that those benefits may be paid to 2 or 3 or 4 people... but it's all linked to the attorney's ability to prove ONE issue, and that is your disability.

Good luck with your disability claim.
                                What was the pay range for attorneys, just curious?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...