Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
AA78

Question Child support to daughter if she is receiving child support for her son?

Hi, this is my first time posting, so please be kind ... I've tried other forum where instead of answering the question they post mean answers..

I live in CA, I have a 17 year old daughter who has a 3 month old baby. She's still leaving with her mother and I've been paying child support for her. Now, she has filed for child support for her baby. If the father of her baby starts paying child support to her for the baby, do I still have to pay child support for my daughter? Is not that I don't want to pay this final year of child support, I've doing very diligently and I now she needs the help. I'm just curious as of what are the legal obligations in this matter.

Thanks for your help.
AA78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
sunlover
Top Level Member

Default Re: Child support to daughter if she is receiving child support for her son?

Why would your daughter having a child and getting support for that child change your obligation to support her? I see why you got some rude replies. The support your child gets for her child does not support her! However you are free to petition court to modify current support order based on this new income your child gets. do not be surprised if courts deny this motion.
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Child support to daughter if she is receiving child support for her son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA78 View Post
Hi, this is my first time posting, so please be kind ... I've tried other forum where instead of answering the question they post mean answers..

I live in CA, I have a 17 year old daughter who has a 3 month old baby. She's still leaving with her mother and I've been paying child support for her. Now, she has filed for child support for her baby. If the father of her baby starts paying child support to her for the baby, do I still have to pay child support for my daughter? Is not that I don't want to pay this final year of child support, I've doing very diligently and I now she needs the help. I'm just curious as of what are the legal obligations in this matter.

Thanks for your help.
Your daughter and her child are two separate people -- both minors. Both are in need of support. What the father of her child pays for his (their) infant is not and never was intended to be support for her -- but based upon the child's needs and the father's ability to support.

Yes, you still have to support your daughter until she reaches the age of majority or the age stated in your custody decree. Probably now she needs financial help more than ever.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
AA78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
Your daughter and her child are two separate people -- both minors. Both are in need of support. What the father of her child pays for his (their) infant is not and never was intended to be support for her -- but based upon the child's needs and the father's ability to support.

Yes, you still have to support your daughter until she reaches the age of majority or the age stated in your custody decree. Probably now she needs financial help more than ever.
Thank you very much for your answer!.. This is what I needed.. like I said, I'm supporting her and will continue to do so... just wanted to know the legal side of it..
AA78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
malia

Question Re: Child support to daughter if she is receiving child support for her son?

I think your answers were very gentle. Can I ask you a question? Your daughter lives with the mother, has she ever lived with you? I am just curious to know if besides the money you are providing for her. (which is wonderful and respected) have you also been a part of her life?
malia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

He now has a grandchild, too. The daughter, teen mother as she is, will need a lot of support in order to complete her education and also handle the demands of motherhood. This is a family matter -- an expanding family.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote