Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Car Accident Claims

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
kevinrocksman

Angry Car scratched, quick question

Ok to sum up my story and question about 1 1/2 years ago I came home from deployment to my new car (02 Roush Mustang). It is a blue convertible. I came home and went to go see some "friends" of mine. I said "who wants to go for a ride" and I get a few people that say ME ME ME blah blah blah. Well everybody gets in the way that your supposed to (through the door), well one of my so called friends decides to JUMP into the backseat. I heard something hit and I asked him if he hit the side of my car, he said NO. I looked at it but my car was super dirty at the time sense I live on a dirt road. The next day I washed my car and noticed 2 very large and long scratches going from the top of my fender down to the wheel well. After thinking about it I thought about the day before when he jumped in, so I took a shoe and measured it out, the scratches matched the sole of a shoe. I then txtd him (no longer have the txts... unless my cell company can pull it up from a year and a half ago) and said that he scratched my car then I went and found him (spent about a hour finding him, i was p*ssed). I told him what he did and he specifically said "dude I'm sorry man, I have a uncle that does body work and the next time you come back home I'll have him fix that for you." I said ok man I really appreciate that... Well the next time I came home was about 4 months later and he said I still can't get ahold of my uncle. I then had to leave the car at home because I was getting engine work done. It was at home for about 7-8 months or so until I got out of the military. I then confronted him again and he completely blew me off. I am now worried that I have waited to long... and I would like to sue him for repairs to my car. I have at least 1 witness with me when i talked to him AND about 3-4 that saw the scratches when I went to go wash the car. Do I even have a leg to stand on here? Can I sue him for repairs? Please help me...
kevinrocksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Car scratched, quick question

I wish to inform you that the damage to your car was caused by negligence of the other party. Further, an oral agreement to get the car repaired is a valid agreement. You may give a written notice to the other party. If he does not resolve the matter, you may visit the Clerk of Small Claims Court and file a complaint. You may request the court for damages and costs. You will have the burden of proof to prove the allegations made by you. You may provide the evidence to the court from your friends to support your view point. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

You can sue the person for personal property damages such as car scratches. Document the property damage and how much it will cost to fix. Seek written statements from anyone who has personal knowledge about the damage and is willing to testify on your behalf. Send the person you want to sue a registered letter demanding reimbursement for the damage. Go the clerk's office in your county courthouse and file suit in either Small Claims Court or Superior Court.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
You will have the burden of proof to prove the allegations made by you. You may provide the evidence to the court from your friends to support your view point. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

When you say that do you mean get all my friends together that seen the scratch or the person that was with me when he said he would fix it?