USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

When is marriage in NV considered legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holborn
    • Aug 2016

When is marriage in NV considered legal?

I was married this evening in Las Vegas and the Reverend is taking the marriage certificate to be processed by the Courthouse tomorrow morning. My wife has suddenly had an attack of nerves and thinks we should postpone and do this later back home.. If we don't process that document tomorrow, are we still legally married? The only witness was the photographer. We have a non-legal certificate with us, signed by the Reverend and a receipt of the wedding license we got this morning..
    Shall i tell the Rev to hold off for a day or two while we decide, or is there no point?
    Many thanks!
  • Wenton

Re: When is marriage in NV considered legal?

Marriage certificates or licenses do have to be filed to make the marriage legal in most jurisdictions.

Ask, and confirm with, the REV and the city filing office, but most likely you can cancel the filing and be "Not Married"

(I doubt you are the first to face this issue in Vegas.)

Comment

• Disagreeable
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Oct 2012
      • United States

NRS 122.010  What constitutes marriage; no common-law marriages after March 29, 1943. 1.  Marriage, so far as its validity in law is concerned, is a civil contract, to which the consent of the parties capable in law of contracting is essential. Consent alone will not constitute marriage; it must be followed by solemnization as authorized and provided by this chapter.
      2.  The provisions of subsection 1 requiring solemnization shall not invalidate any marriage contract in effect prior to March 29, 1943, to which the consent only of the parties capable in law of contracting the contract was essential.
      [1:33:1861; A 1943, 279; 1943 NCL § 4050]
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Disagreeable
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Oct 2012
        • United States

NRS 122.030  Documents constituting presumptive evidence of marriage. 1.  With respect to any marriage solemnized before January 1, 1971, the original certificate and records of marriage made by the judge, justice or minister, as prescribed in this chapter, and the record thereof by the recorder of the county, or a copy or abstract of the record certified by the recorder, must be received in all courts and places as presumptive evidence of the fact of the marriage.
        2.  With respect to any marriage solemnized on or after January 1, 1971, the original certificate and records of marriage made by the judge, justice, minister or other church or religious official authorized to solemnize a marriage, notary public, commissioner of civil marriages or deputy commissioner of civil marriages, as prescribed in this chapter, and the record thereof by the county recorder or the county clerk, as the case may be, or a copy or abstract of the record certified by the county recorder or the county clerk, as the case may be, must be received in all courts and places as presumptive evidence of the fact of the marriage.
        [14:33:1861; B § 207; BH § 483; C § 494; RL § 2350; NCL § 4062]??"(NRS A 1969, 763; 1991, 69; 2007, 887; 2009, 723; 2013, 1186)

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

• Tilla

I am just visiting and saw this, but just so I am clear, that means above that it DOES have to be filed is that right?

I am researching the same issue. Long story why.

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

Yes that is correct.
            must be received in all courts and places as presumptive evidence of the fact of the marriage.

Originally posted by Tilla
            I am just visiting and saw this, but just so I am clear, that means above that it DOES have to be filed is that right?

I am researching the same issue. Long story why.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...