X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sov Ren
    • Jun 2019
    • United States

Jury Duty Questionnaire - Philadelphia, PA

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum, but my question is not about whether jury duty is Constitutional or not, instead I'd like to know if the city has any authority (and if so, where is it derived, and justified) to compel me to answer thier questionnaire?

It asks for my email address, and the questions are as follows...
    1) Have you been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment of more than one year?
    2) Can you read, write, and understand the English language?
    3) Can you mentally and physically properly perform the functions of a juror?
    4) Are you a US citizen?
    5) Are you a resident of Philadelphia?

Am I as a free American under any legal or lawful obligation to the city to answer these questions?
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Jury Duty Questionnaire - Philadelphia, PA

I wish to inform you that 234 Pa. Code Rule 632 has necessary jurisdiction in this matter.

AFF

Comment

• Unregistered

Good find affa

Rule 632. Juror Information Questionnaire.
      (A) Prior to voir dire:

(1) Each prospective juror SHALL complete and verify the standard, confidential juror information questionnaire required by paragraph (H) of this rule, and any supplemental questionnaire provided by the court.

(2) The president judge shall designate the method for distributing and maintaining the juror information questionnaires.

(3) The trial judge and the attorneys shall receive copies of the completed questionnaires for use during voir dire, and the attorneys shall be given a reasonable opportunity to examine the questionnaires.

(B) The information provided by the jurors on the questionnaires shall be confidential and limited to use for the purpose of jury selection only. Except for disclosures made during voir dire, or unless the trial judge otherwise orders pursuant to paragraph (F), this information shall only be made available to the trial judge, the defendant(s) and the attorney(s) for the defendant(s), and the attorney for the Commonwealth.

(C) The original and any copies of the juror information questionnaires shall not constitute a public record.

(D) Juror information questionnaires shall be used in conjunction with the examination of the prospective jurors conducted by the judge or counsel pursuant to Rule 631(E).

(E) If the court adjourns before voir dire is completed, the trial judge may order that the attorneys be permitted to retain their copies of the questionnaires during the adjournment. When copies of the questionnaires are permitted to be taken from the courtroom, the copies:

(1) shall continue to be subject to the confidentiality requirements of this rule, and to the disclosure requirements of paragraph (B); and

(2) shall not be duplicated, distributed, or published.

The trial judge may make such other order to protect the copies as is appropriate.

(F) The original questionnaires of all impaneled jurors shall be retained in a sealed file and shall be destroyed upon completion of the jurors’ service, unless otherwise ordered by the trial judge. Upon completion of voir dire, all copies of the questionnaires shall be returned to the trial judge and destroyed, unless otherwise ordered by the trial judge at the request of the defendant(s), the attorney(s) for the defendant(s), or the attorney for the Commonwealth.

(G) The original and any copies of questionnaires of all prospective jurors not impaneled or not selected for any trial shall be destroyed upon completion of the jurors’ service.

(H) The form of the juror information questionnaire shall be as follows:

Comment

• Sov Ren
        • Jun 2019
        • United States

Originally posted by AFFA
        Thanks for the information, but that's them just saying it, what gives them any authority to say I SHALL tell them anything, why should I be under any obligation to GIVE them my information?

Isn't this a 4th or 5th Amendment issue?

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Nov 2011

That’s what laws are. Let’s say your city decides that Main Street should be 60 mph. That is the law. You can disobey that at your peril, leading to you possibly being issued a ticket or worse. That’s how laws work. You can choose not to answer this questionnaire which is basically intended to see if you qualify to be a juror, but in most jurisdictions they will get their answers. No it is not a fourth or fifth amendment issue.

Comment

• Sov Ren
            • Jun 2019
            • United States

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc
            You're conflating laws with law. In any case, where does the city draw any authority to compel speech or information? If a cop asked me for information without reasonable and articulatable suspicion of a crime, I could refuse to answer with no worry of legal consequences, but this questionnaire form by its language is implying that I have no choice.

The 4th Amendment protects against searches, is not forcing me to give information the same as searching my wallet or bag? And government only has powers it was explicitly delegated, where did it get this power?

Just seems like a tyrannical local government operating outside the bounds of American government.

Comment

• adjusterjack
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Sov Ren

Just seems like a tyrannical local government operating outside the bounds of American government.
              You're absolutely right.

You're free to tear up the questionnaire and go on your merry way.

Comment

• Unregistered

...in handcuffs, for contempt.

But hey you can always argue your issue.

That's why we have court cases.

Personally I think it might be safer to argue the issue with the lawmakers that made the law and ask them to change it -- if it needs to be changed.

Comment

• Sov Ren
                  • Jun 2019
                  • United States

Originally posted by adjusterjack
                  You're absolutely right.

You're free to tear up the questionnaire and go on your merry way.
                  You're ******** garbage.

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  ...in handcuffs, for contempt.
                  I'll be forced to defend myself against any cop, and the judge will not be spared either.

That's why we have court cases.

Personally I think it might be safer to argue the issue with the lawmakers that made the law and ask them to change it.
                  You're second two suggestions... rely on the government going against it's own monopoly of power, if the Founders had done the same, there'd never have been an United States of America...

Comment

• adjusterjack
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • May 2016

You're ******** garbage.
                    Oh, now you don't like me when I agreed with you.

You're very amusing. Keep writing. I won't argue with you but I'll enjoy seeing how many people you can rope into your spurious arguments.

Comment

• Sov Ren
                      • Jun 2019
                      • United States

Originally posted by adjusterjack
                      Oh, now you don't like me when I agreed with you.

You're very amusing. Keep writing. I won't argue with you but I'll enjoy seeing how many people you can rope into your spurious arguments.

You're ******** garbage.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                        Top Level Member
                        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                        • May 2016

You're ******** garbage.
                        Oh, puhlease, can't you come up with something other than spewing the same insult over and over again.

Here, I have a couple:

Don't think, don't let your mind wander, it's too small to go out alone.

I wouldn't engage in a battle of wits with you, you're unarmed.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                          Top Level Member
                          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                          • May 2016

You're boring.

You may have the last word if you like.

Comment

• Highwayman
                            Top Level Member
                            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                            • Sep 2014

What an EDP.

Comment

• Unregistered

Jury duty sucks and should be eliminated!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...