Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > Wiki Articles and Off-Topic Messages > Law Articles

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
atlantsecurity
atlantsecurity's Flag is: Bulgaria

Default Cybersecurity is a hot topic for law firms (or it should be)

A year ago I was creating cybersecurity programs for nuclear power plants, banks, government networks - and then a single incident turned my focus towards law firms.

Someone contacted me about a law firm getting hacked - and the investigation showed that they were lucky enough and the hacker was only after their money (they hacked the finance director's account).

The firm lost almost a million USD in a single attack, yet somehow neither the firm nor their clients were worried about the money.

They were worried about the data the hacker could have accessed while trying to steal money.

Because in the end, the data stored in the firm's emails and databases (any large law firm's emails and databases) could have been accessed, copied and carefully studied - then resold to the highest bidder in any number of formats and to any number of organizations or even hostile governments.

And then the impact would have been much different.

When that incident happened, I realized that my time in defending nuclear power plants and banks is over - they can hire any number of experts globally.

Law firms, on the other hand, rarely get access to high cybersecurity expertise - usually they rely on their own internal IT team or IT outsourcing company to take care of security, and that doesn't work well.

As I mentioned in my LinkedIn post a while ago - a country needs police, law enforcement and military for protection, it cannot rely on the road builders for it. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/asver...511958528-fxi6

According to the American Bar Association, 80% of law firms were hacked between 2011 and 2019. Can you safely say you were not part of those 80%? Did you spend more on security than the top 20% of law firms who were not hacked?

Many law firms can't afford to hire a CISO - and when they do, most times they don't know how to select a qualified one and end up with someone working in excel all day, rather than building viable defenses and monitoring their infrastructure.

That is why our company came up with a set of services for law firms, the most prominent of which are our Virtual CISO for law firms and the Cybersecurity Assessment - overall, at the moment, we offer the best cybersecurity service for law firms on the market.

I will be happy to answer any of your questions - as I am the author of the book "Protecting Law Firms from hacking attacks and insider threats" - and can provide you with very efficient and quick solutions to any challenges you might face in the cybersecurity field.
atlantsecurity is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
atlantsecurity
atlantsecurity's Flag is: Bulgaria

Default Re: Cybersecurity is a hot topic for law firms (or it should be)

I just wanted to let you guys know that I changed my URL above - so if you experience a 404, the ciso as a service moved here: https://atlantsecurity.com/ciso-as-a-service/
atlantsecurity is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No