Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
LostOurPeace
LostOurPeace's Flag is: United States

Angry Neighbors/Landlord no cooperation

For the last year we have had issues with a house, 2 doors down. Our street is, or was a very quiet, mainly retired with no children till this 'family' moved in.

Last year- several instances of having to call the Sheriffs office due to dirt bikes up and down the road, doing revving up circles over and over in front of our homes, parties, underage kids acting up constantly, no adult supervision, traffic in and out at all hours, etc etc..
LEO "spoke" to them if anyone was outside when they finally showed up.

I wrote a hand written letter to the homeowner who lives within the state. Detailed all the activities, law being called, speaking to the Mother, etc. He showed up the following morning.

Had a 'meeting' in the street with the tenant, owner and our neighbors. Heated at times and the Mother was very hostile at us and defensive of her kids and their 'friends'.

Sidenote- 2 of those kids are in the juvy system. She has 5 in total.

Homeowner/Landlord sided with us and told her, with all of there - one more complaint and he would have to give her a 30 day notice to leave.

Throughout the year we had small things happen but a look, letting Mom know.. did the trick.

Until about 3 months ago. Now we are in hell again.

Mom is still absent a lot. Single parent. Some of the kids are old enough to be on their own but- they really push the limits when she's not there. Especially the 16 yr old son who has the questionable friends and general thug (sorry) attitude.

Now, we are back to the dirt bikes in and out, heavy increased vehicle traffic, congregating in the driveway and being very loud and mouthy until well after midnight on several occasions. We've added gunfire to the list as well.

We have called the law again and again about the dirt bikes and the noise. They talk to them. That's it.

We could not catch the Mother at home to speak to her- we did not have her phone number.

So, we contacted the homeowner, again. Via text and call. Sent him a video and another list of the reignited and new situations.

The tenants reported me for video taping them (landlord shared with them) when they were at a peak of major bike riding, screaming and acting like idiots. Cops came and told them I had done nothing wrong- from my own yard and not invasive.

Landlord now refuses to do anything. Said he wasn't aware riding dirt bikes was illegal. (Main road, no tag and being a nuisance doesn't count I guess) and gave us her/tenants number and said to speak with her.
She wouldn't answer texts or calls. We have no interest in trying to resolve with her -again.

We are 99.9% certain they are dealing drugs,cause of the quick in and outs of various cars multiple times per day and we've witnessed the hand offs.

We know the nuisance factor is there on multiple levels.

This last Monday, the main subject (juvy) and his oldest sister (juvy) got into a serious verbal, very loud fight. She went totally crazed in the driveway on the phone screaming and shouting with someone- this went on for a good hour. Finally, we heard silence and looked out and there was a deputy. She apparently called 911 on her brother for shooting her with an airsoft. Law remained there for well over 2+ hrs, Mother came home, lots of talking and loud discussions. Law told the Mother she had 'no say so, this was a domestic violence issue' (overheard that) then the Mother left. Daughter and youngest child went with deputy. No clue what really happened, just another disruption of a half a day on our street.

We have lived in this home for 9 yrs. The man directly across from them for 30 years.. others on this street are also long term residents. Everyone says they have seen more cops on this road in the last year than they have in the years combined.

My husband telecommutes and is constantly having his phone calls and work interrupted. My working peacefully in the yard has pretty much ended.

Is the next step to file an official complaint against her with the Sheriffs office or go straight to Civil Court and sue the homeowner?

Sorry for the length of this but wanted to give relevant info ahead of time.

I appreciate any and all assistance and thoughts that anyone can offer.

Thank you.
LostOurPeace is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Neighbors/Landlord no cooperation

It's called a private nuisance lawsuit and you would sue the owner and the tenant. Faced with a lawsuit he's likely to get off the dime and evict the problem tenant.

However, you are going to have to hire an attorney and probably spend thousands on attorney fees if you expect even the remotest chance of getting it right.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
LostOurPeace

Thank you for your response.
Why do I have to hire a lawyer? Why couldn't this be handled in a small claims court?
Would that only be for monetary damages and nothing to do with getting them out of there?
Thank you.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Small claims court is generally for monetary damages, sometimes for the return of property.

What you are looking for is injunctive relieve, to compel the owner to take some action against the tenant or to compel the tenant to stop the objectionable behavior. You don't say where you are but I don't think that kind of thing gets done in small claims.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
LostOurPeace

We are in Florida. And yes, that is exactly what we are seeking.
For the latest update, the tenant has now told us that the landlord is selling the home to her.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

An alternative is to move elsewhere. I had crap neighbors a long time ago. After 11 years it became apparent that they would outlast me. I sold my house and moved.