Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTERNATIONAL LAW > International Law Issues > Indian Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout




Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Default Need urgent help- Sister in law harassing my mother


We are 5 siblings and lost our father at very young age. My mother raised us single handedly. We had been living peacefully until my elder brother got married. My sister in law is torturing my mother and sisters since she is married to my brother. She doesnt have good relations with neither my brother and us because of her abusive behavior.

My brother and bhabi fights almost every day because of one or another things. Earlier my bhabi used to blame us for these quarrels. Hence, we separated their kitchen to separate floor. We live on 1st floor and they on 2nd floor. Even this didn't work, infact it made the situation more worse, they started having fights more frequently.

Now mother is so mentally tortured that she is in depression and have been treated for various diseases. We have been requesting or brother and bhabi to shift to another house as everyday trauma is affecting my mother alot. For which my brother has agreed however my bhabi is not ready to leave and threat us to file fake dowry and harassment case on us or hurt herself and blame us for this. If we ask them to move to another house.

Property is on my mother name, we tried to convince her with all the means including requesting her parents and other family to convince her however she is not listening to anybody.

Please help us how come out of this situation. We have already lost our father and dont want to lose our mother.

Thank you!
alkajain87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,484
Default Re: Need urgent help- Sister in law harassing my mother

Without being familiar with Indian law, I suggest you first report her threats to make false police reports, then the owner take action available for her legal eviction. Any problems her husband suffers is his own fault as he elected to marry her.
Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Top Level Member
AFFA's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23,512
Default Re: Need urgent help- Sister in law harassing my mother

I wish to inform you that you may call a meeting of family or community elders to help resolve the matter, generally called a panchayat in India. If that is not possible then you may contact an attorney and seek legal guidance in the matter.

AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Lexus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9,276
Default Re: Need urgent help- Sister in law harassing my mother

Schedule a time to talk as a group (Including your elder relatives). When you work together, however, resolving family differences becomes more feasible. Once everyone has shared their needs, wants, and concerns, then strive for a compromise. Consider all the suggestions that each party has provided and look for a middle ground. Everyone present should feel good about the proposed solution. If necessary, develop a contract or written agreement outlining how you will manage the problem.

If you fear that, she will file dowry complaint against the husband and others.
Nowadays there are many wives in India society who think that Police and Courts have no other work to do but attend to their silly false complaints made against the husband and in-laws even on real reason of daily bickering that happens in all houses throughout the world.

The FIR even if registered against the husband and in-laws will get dismissed in the court as lack of sufficient evidence to prove all those criminal charges against the accused.

Merely stating there was demand of dowry by husband or in-laws or she was harassed for bringing insufficient dowry at the time of marriage or the husband was to get much more from other party etc. all these are stale reasons which every such complaint made by wives has. The husband was hitting, abusing not allowing to have proper meals, forced the wife to work and earn livelihood etc. are other reasons given which are without any substantial evidence, especially the physical harm caused need to be substantiated with proper medical reports which hardly exists, in the name of the medical evidence what in most case is seen, the old medical report of the woman with regard to some other complication that may have existed even before the marriage is brought on record along with the charge sheet by the IO of the police. The lack of proper medical record of act of cruelty, physical or mental harm, lack of independent witnesses in whose presence the dowry was demanded, or cruelty inflicted etc.fails charges under section 498A IPC.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No


This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2428 times

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sister has taken mother for a visit and will not come back Val 488 Other Family Law Matters 1 11-03-2018 11:16 PM
parents or sister of the mother can have the childs custody in ph patricia1992 Child Custody and Support 2 05-08-2016 12:22 PM
Mother passed custody to my sister. Can she legally do that? angelinscarlet Child Custody and Support 2 07-22-2009 02:09 PM
harassing ex-mother-in-law livn4mygirls Miscellaneous Topics 1 02-28-2008 11:08 AM
Will - My sister called and said my mother changed her will in 2002 Unregistered Wills, Trusts, Estates 0 02-11-2008 03:40 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer. Copyright 2009-2020 by