Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Consumer Complaints

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
Enari
Enari's Flag is: United States

Default Denied service because of address association

Hi. Please forgive me if I'm not supposed to be commenting here. It's hard to find the information for the situation I'm in. I'm not sure exactly where, or what it falls under.

I'm being denied adding a service line by consumer cellular, because someone has used my address previously and owes them money. I feel like this is a situation that falls almost under civil rights laws about being denied service. And guilt by association. Since I have no control over who has previously used my address. This day and age, your address means less and less.

They never contacted me about it, and I had no clue until an emergency situation came up where I needed a cell phone for a young relative going on a trip.

I don't feel it's legal for them to hold someone else's debt, basically, against me.

Sorry again if this isn't the place for this. I just want my normal service options. They've been great about everything else. Thanks for your time.
Enari is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Denied service because of address association

Quote:
I feel like this is a situation that falls almost under civil rights laws about being denied service.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with civil rights though it's the right place to post your problem.

Your solution is simple. Dump Consumer Cellular and get your phones elsewhere.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
olive
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enari View Post
Hi. Please forgive me if I'm not supposed to be commenting here. It's hard to find the information for the situation I'm in. I'm not sure exactly where, or what it falls under.

I'm being denied adding a service line by consumer cellular, because someone has used my address previously and owes them money. I feel like this is a situation that falls almost under civil rights laws about being denied service. And guilt by association. Since I have no control over who has previously used my address. This day and age, your address means less and less.

They never contacted me about it, and I had no clue until an emergency situation came up where I needed a cell phone for a young relative going on a trip.

I don't feel it's legal for them to hold someone else's debt, basically, against me.

Sorry again if this isn't the place for this. I just want my normal service options. They've been great about everything else. Thanks for your time.

You might also try speaking to a supervisor at least once and seeing if customer service can get it resolved. A lot of those kinds of issues are fairly automated (even when lower-level staff are involved) and you just get caught in the bureaucracy. And as noted above, sometimes it's best just to change providers. I have done the same myself.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

Subscriber fraud occurs when someone signs up for service with fraudulently obtained customer information or false identification. Lawbreakers obtain your personal information and use it to set up a cell phone account in your name. Resolving subscriber fraud could develop into a long and difficult process for victims. It may take time to discover that subscriber fraud has occurred and even more time to prove that you did not incur the debts. There are federal and state-level legislation against intentional misrepresentation of physical address, which would apply to using someone else’s address or letting someone else use yours. As an immediate relief, get a connection from a different provider. As a precautionary measure, inform the matter to the phone company (in writing), and report the matter to the local law enforcement authority. This will give you an upper hand if the telephone company accuses you of default in payment or, if the perpetrator tries something else with your address.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote