Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dd05
    • Jan 2015

18 year old female and 16 year old male have child, Michigan age of consent 16

When I was 18 I had intercourse with a 16 year old male, and ended up getting pregnant. I kept the child. He was a month from turning 17 and I was 3 months from turning 19. We are now 23 and 25. We did NOT have a relationship, this was a "one night stand". At the time he lied about his age and my "friend" at the time lied for him as well. We did not meet with the intentions having sex, it just happened. My question is, because it has been 6 years and the age of consent in Michigan is 16 and he was 16 at the time, can I still get in trouble for having sex with him?

I did not know he lied about his age until a year later. I did not know he was my child's father until I did a paternity test on my ex-boyfriend and determined he was not the father. I was young and stupid when this happened and I accept fault for that, but I would like to know the answer. There is a support order in place and the friend of the court knows both of our real birth dates.

Thank you!
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: 18 year old female and 16 year old male have child, Michigan age of consent 16

I wish to inform you that in Michigan the age of consent is 16 years of age. Under the Court Ruling in People v. Cash, 351 NW2d 822 (Mich. 1984) in Michigan it is not a defense that the defendant mistakenly believed the child to be of an age higher than the age of consent. Further, in Michigan teens are not exempted from prosecution for sexual penetration.

AFF

Comment

• dd05
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by AFFA
      I wish to inform you that in Michigan the age of consent is 16 years of age. Under the Court Ruling in People v. Cash, 351 NW2d 822 (Mich. 1984) in Michigan it is not a defense that the defendant mistakenly believed the child to be of an age higher than the age of consent. Further, in Michigan teens are not exempted from prosecution for sexual penetration.

AFF
      I understand that. We are no longer teens, he was 16 at the time and I was 18. My only concern is that every time he gets upset he tries throw that in my face as if he wil l try to use it against me in courts. So I wanted to see if he can even use that since he was at the age of consent when we had intercourse and when I had the child.

Comment

• Friend In Court
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Apr 2011
        • United States

Re: 18 year old female and 16 year old male have child, Michigan age of consent 16

I will check on the statute of limitations and get back to you.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

If 16 is the age of consent, it is a little late for his parents to obtain lessor charges, not to mention you should be concerned about the child's best interest which includes its real dad and child support.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do birds chirp or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...