Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Car Accident Claims

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Adelev
Adelev's Flag is: United States

Default Niece just wrecked our car

My niece just wrecked our car and she was driving with no license, I now have learned.

Is that going to stop our insurer from paying?
Adelev is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Niece just wrecked our car

I wish to inform you that a difficulty that arises in accidents with unlicensed drivers is that the insurance company of the vehicle they are driving is unlikely to pay their liability for property damage. Insurance companies usually exclude any obligation to insure you in circumstances where the driver was either unlicensed or had a suspended licence. This means any liability will need to be paid for by the unlicensed driver themselves. Considering many unlicensed drivers may be young or otherwise lack sufficient funds to pay for damage to your vehicle, this may make recovering this money difficult. If you have your own comprehensive car insurance policy, this should cover your vehicle damage regardless. Your insurer will usually pay you out immediately and then attempt to recover the amount from the unlicensed driver. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance in the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelev View Post
My niece just wrecked our car and she was driving with no license, I now have learned.

Is that going to stop our insurer from paying?
Depends on a lot of information that you haven't shared.

1 - Where is this happening? What state?
2 - Is your niece a member of your household? How old is she?
3 - Her driving your car, was this a one time thing or did you furnish it to her for regular use without telling your insurance company?
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

Driving without a license is illegal in every state, but most states differentiate between operating a vehicle without a valid driver's license and driving a vehicle without proof of a driver's license. Penalties for driving without a license or failing to produce a license when stopped by a police offer range from "fix-it tickets" to vehicle impoundment or even jail time. Many insurance policies are written specifically to deny coverage in circumstances where the driver was unlicensed to begin with or had their license suspended, which then causes a resulting lapse in coverage. Sometimes, where the car is borrowed by the unlicensed driver with the permission of the car’s owner, insurance may follow the vehicle, not the driver. In such cases, if the unlicensed and/or uninsured driver who caused the accident was driving someone else’s insured vehicle with permission, then that policy should cover the injured party’s damages—regardless of the licensure status of the at-fault driver. Contact an attorney for more information.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote