Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > Family-Sponsored Visas

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Panda two
Panda two's Flag is: United States

Default Can I have my friend become joint-sponsor?

Ohio

I'm marrying a US citizen and I'm hoping to obtain green card through
him but he lost his job this year. Can I have my friend become
joint-sponsor and sign off on my affidavit along with my future
husband?
Panda two is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
olive
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I have my friend become joint-sponsor?

A friend can become a co-sponsor but that friend will have to provide all if his financials and he will be responsible as long as the person is in the USA, until he dies or becomes a US citizen. So it is a serious and LARGE undertaking.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
miranda77

Default Re: Can I have my friend become joint-sponsor?

Yes panda you can, but as the poster above noted, it is a significant undertaking; note the following:

1. An affidavit of support is a document an individual signs to accept financial responsibility for another person, usually a relative, who is coming to the United States to live permanently.
2. An affidavit of support is legally enforceable; the sponsor's responsibility usually lasts until the family member or other individual either becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years).
3. The law concerning affidavits of support is found in Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sections 212(a)(4) and 213A.
4. You are required by law to submit a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, completed by the petitioner.
5. Your spouse will be the sponsor for your Affidavit of Support.
6. Section 213A of the INA permits both a "joint sponsor" and a "substitute sponsor" in certain cases.
7. A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting sponsor's family member with the sponsor. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as the sponsor, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. Sponsor cannot combine sponsor's income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement. Your friend can be the joint sponsor.
8. The sponsor, should complete Form I-864 when the sponsored relative has been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview with a consular officer overseas or when the sponsored relative is about to submit an application for adjustment to permanent resident status with the USCIS or with an Immigration Court in the United States. The joint sponsor must also complete Form I-864. If sponsor is using the income of other household members to qualify, then each household member who is accepting legal responsibility for supporting sponsor's relative must complete a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.
9. When sponsor has completed the affidavit of support, compiled the necessary documentation, and had the affidavit notarized in the United States or before a U.S. consular or immigration officer, sponsor should provide this packet of information to you to submit with your application for permanent resident status.
10. Sponsor must show that sponsor's household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for sponsor's household size. (Sponsor's household size includes sponsor, sponsor's dependents, any relatives living with sponsor, and the immigrants sponsor is sponsoring).
11. If the person being sponsored is a spouse, or son/daughter (who is 18 years or older) of a U.S. citizen: The minimum cash value of assets must be three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and 125% of the federal poverty guide line for the household.