• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pandora3
    • Sep 2016
    • Singapore

Contract in Chinese language only

We are a smaller Singapore firm.
    Is it legal to have a contract with a US partner in California and to have the contract be only in the Chinese language, Mandarin?

Is that ok in CA? Does that violate any US law?
    We hope and assume not but just want to check.
  • olive
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Mar 2008

Re: Contract in Chinese language only

Dear Pandora:

It is normally not a violation of US or state law to put the contract in any foreign language.
    It is completely legal.

I trust all sides have a person that speaks the language and counsel fluent in the contract language.

Often times parties put the contract in both languages but one is fine. (and 2 languages can raise its own issues sometimes)

Comment

• Disagreeable
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Oct 2012
      • United States

Enforcement of a contract in the US, written in a foreign language can sometimes become ambiguous, when translated to English, for judicial purposes. In such cases, the contract is normally determined in a light negative to the writer of the contract, on the basis they allowed the ambiguity.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Wenton2
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2016
        • United States

The issue with two language versions of the contract is that they are not always exactly the same as no translation is 100% perfect.
        That can raise issues as well when a dispute arises.

Comment

• adjusterjack
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Pandora3
          Is it legal to have a contract with a US partner in California and to have the contract be only in the Chinese language, Mandarin?

If you are getting a US business partner so that your company can conduct business in the US then you'd better darned well have the contract in English because it's going to be a US court that will interpret and enforce the contract and you won't be happy with the result.

My advice: If you want to do business in the US, do it in English, or don't do it.

Comment

• Wenton2
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2016
            • United States

Well I wont comment on all the business eg done in Florida with South America, that is all in Spanish.

Comment

• olive
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Mar 2008

If the focus of the contract is all in the US then English would be best. If it is in Mandarin and you go to court in the US, it will be the court-appointed translator's version that basically governs.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Wenton2
                Well I wont comment on all the business eg done in Florida with South America, that is all in Spanish.
                And I won't comment on who you can thank for that.

Comment

• Pandora3
                  • Sep 2016
                  • Singapore

These many comments were all very helpful, and we will consider and adopt them,
                  We thank you deeply!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Pandora3

There is NO requirement that contracts in the US be in English, though I am sure Trump would like to make it so if he could!

Comment

• Ethanturkel
                      • Oct 2017
                      • United States

Chinese and Italian investors always do it like it. That's why it's important to have interpretors and translators if your company deals with these countries. I decided to study italian in Italy by myself as I often have a business with Italy so it's easier for me to know what's the point and to be able to figure out the problem on my own

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by olive
                        Dear Pandora:

It is normally not a violation of US or state law to put the contract in any foreign language.
                        It is completely legal.

I trust all sides have a person that speaks the language and counsel fluent in the contract language.

Often times parties put the contract in both languages but one is fine. (and 2 languages can raise its own issues sometimes)

Wow, answered my question spot on! Thank you (and Google)!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...