Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Other Real Estate Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
TAPPS2
TAPPS2's Flag is: United States

Default Five days of no air conditioning from landlord in Florida

How many days of no air conditioning do I have to endure before I can legally refuse to pay rent or can go to a hotel and be compensated, or sue the landlord or something?

This is now the 5th day and in Florida it is not possible to be here.

It's just a window unit, though it is in a way built into the window itself, the landlord could even just buy a new AC.

I would even do it myself but the lease prohibits that kind of change by the tenant.
TAPPS2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Five days of no air conditioning from landlord in Florida

When did you report it? Did you do it in writing? What discussions have you had with the landlord? What's his excuse?

5 days is way too long for a window unit to be replaced.

Florida's repair and deduct statute is 83.60.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0083.60.html

Note the proper notice requirements before you can go out and buy one and withhold rent.

And forget being compensated for a motel. That's not going to happen because your remedy is specific and trumps your lease prohibition.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No