•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Listmack4
    • Jul 2019
    • United States

Deposition of out of state plaintiff in a case

If I am the plaintiff in a civil action does that mean I have to take my deposition in the state where the case is filed.

Or can I make them come to my state of residence.

Thank you!
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Deposition of out of state plaintiff in a case

You take depositions in the state where the case is filed.

Comment

• Lexus
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2010
      • United States

In a civil suit, you may be required to be deposed or answer questions about the case under oath. It works similarly to an examination or cross-examination at trial. A plaintiff is usually subject to deposition where suit is brought, even if residing elsewhere. However, depending on the facts of the case, the court may exercise its discretion to move the venue of deposition if it finds “good cause”. The court will consider cost, convenience, and efficiency as general standards for deciding on place of deposition.

Comment

• adjusterjack
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • May 2016

It's also possible that depositions can be taken by phone or by two way video.

Comment

You can always request anything that is reasonable, sensible, and that may be easier for you.
          But it is up to the judge if the parties can't agree.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...