Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Copyright, Trademark, Patent

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #51
sandyclaus

Default Re: How to get out of contract with Publish America

Given that there is SO MUCH bad press floating around with horror stories about people and their Publish America contracts, it's a wonder that people are still signing their contracts.

Do your homework, people, and take responsibility for your lack of due diligence in investigating the company and its practices before signing a contract that seems to be endlessly problematic for their customers.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #52
Unregistered

Devon,

I do not believe you are helping PA's case with your lack of language skills. I have not sat at home "lazy" while my book has been at PA. I have held book signings and have marketing promotions. My problem centers around the fact that I have had people send me copies of the book asking for it to be signed while PA has told me it has no sales. I do not see how the reader obtained a copy of the book if there have been no sales. Yes, I made a mistake by not doing my research on the company before signing on with them, but it is my first book and I allowed my own self-doubt to influence my decision to go with the first publisher who said yes. A decision I now regret. I am now acquiring the rights to the book back and feel it is a lesson well learned. I can not believe you can write like you do on here and have success as a writer. Maybe you are one of the ones who has fallen for the whole "pay us $49, $99 and we will sell your book." That is just another way for them to make money off you the author. Most bookstores will not stock the books from them due to the cost and the non-return policy. I have spoken to multiple companies who have told me this. If PA makes you happy, good for you, although there are many more of us who are not satisfied with our experience. I am now preparing my book for a relaunch with a self-publisher so I know I have to do all the marketing and editing on the book, but I also get to set the price, which will not be $25 a copy.

To all of you who used PA for their first book or two, do not get discouraged and give up, if this is your dream, keep at it! Not all publishers are like PA.!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #53
Mary H Collinms

I was also mislead by Publish America. Thank God my contract is up this year. With all the authors self-publishing on Amazon, Lulu and other self-publishing sites, there are a lot of publishers begging for submissions. A publisher contacted me and asked if they could publish my book, 'Deception'.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #54
leopardlady

I have sold over 1000 copies to schools, i held fund raisers and yet PA says I havent sold any. This is a problem with the deceiving going on at PA. They send me nasty emails when I question and even one of the books was printed damaged because of the ink and they wouldnt replace the book. I cant get out of my contract but if the changed their name am I out? and has anyone actually gotten out? and are they automatically renewing the contract after the long seven years? Never again!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #55
Unregistered

[QUOTE=leopardlady;344452]I have sold over 1000 copies to schools, I held fund raisers and yet PA says I havent sold any. This is a problem with the deceiving going on at PA. They send me nasty emails when I question and even one of the books was printed damaged because of the ink and they wouldnt replace the book. I can't get out of my contract but if the company changed their name am I out? and has anyone actually gotten out? and are they automatically renewing the contract after the long seven years? Never again![/QUOTE

Old 05-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #56
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: How to get out of contract with Publish America

my contract is up next month , thank God. I sent a letter through UPS to tell them unequivocally that I didn't want my contact extended, as this was what they said in the contract I needed to do -- they signed for the letter and then returned it!!! so what does that mean?? they acknowledged the letter by signing for it, but am I free of them??

Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #57
Unregistered

I honored my seven year contract with them and several years ago it was over. I demanded that they no longer publish my book since they have no more legal rights to do so . I am still finding my book on book sites all these years later where Publish America is offering it for sale. I am going to an attorney. It seems legal action is all they can understand.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #58
Propsner

I was dumb enough to use Publish Scamerica to publish my first two short stories. However, they did NOT assist in any way like their contract states.
I've tried for the longest time to get out of their contract and have my rights returned to me.
I'm pasting the e-mail they just sent me concerning my rights. Which they have returned to me. However, the covers are MY OWN design, not theirs!!! The photos of each cover is my design. They did NOT provide any assistance in cover design at all. So, by all rights, the ENTIRE books, INCLUDING my covers should be returned to me as well.

Every one should know how deceitful this company is! Publish America/America Star Books should be TAKEN OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

Dear William Propsner:

I am informing you that, as per your request for termination of your
contract, we are discontinuing the publication of your book An Ageless
Moment as of this day. All rights under the copyright are herewith
returned to you.

Your book has been pulled from the market today. No new copies will be
printed by America Star Books or made available by America Star Books to
individuals, wholesalers or retailers. It has been removed from America
Star Books' website. We have also sent notice to retailers that no new
copies will be printed. Please note, however, that we have no control over
any other online vendors' listing policies, including Amazon's and Barnes
and Noble's. Books that are out of print may remain listed there for years
on end, even though the industry has now been informed that America Star
Books has ceased making any new copies available. Furthermore, retailers
and wholesalers may continue to sell used copies, as well as new copies
that they had stocked prior to the termination of your agreement with
America Star Books. Of course, America Star Books has no control over the
sale of your book by third parties.

You own the unformatted text only, and you can do as you choose with that
alone. America Star Books continues to own the ISBN number, the cover
design, and the layout design of the text. Any use of any of these items
would be a serious and very clear case of infringement. Therefore, you can
use the same design only if we transfer the rights to you, or to your new
publishing company.

If you would like to use the cover or layout design, we would transfer the
rights to your cover design and/or text layout, and provide you with a
high resolution pdf file of the cover, and a clean, publishable version of
the PDF text file. The cover design would cost $500, and/or the text
layout would cost $250.

Again, you own the unformatted text only, and you can do as you choose
with that alone.

Sincerely,

Caroline Inabinett
America Star Books, LLLP

Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #59
Propsner

As an added comment, I understand that 'America Star / Publish Ameriscam' is no longer in business here in the United States. After looking into it, the comany and/or name has been sold and is now based in Viet Nam.
To comment on some of the other comments on here, i've searched for my two short stories and they are selling on other book sites and in the UK and other countries. So, yes, your books are selling.
If you want book sellers to stop selling your book under the 'Publish Ameriscam' name, you have to contact the sellers of your books and tell them that your publisher is no longer printing your books.
As for mine, they are available on Kindle and Createspace. I posted them there and although i'll still make no royalties, ( i didn't make a penny when they were still being sold by PA) my name will get out. And they have sold. I have had people contact me and tell me that they loved my short stories.
My next books/short stories will be for sale.
God Bless all writers.....put your imagination in print.

William

Old 08-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #60
Unregistered

Viet Nam? Good Lord...why there...