Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Other Criminal Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
linda907178

Arizona Age of Consent

My son just turned 18. His long time girlfriend is becoming 16 in 2 months. Can he get arrested as a sex offender? What is the legal age of consent in Arizona? Can I get arrested too? She sometimes sleeps over at my apt.
They also stay at her house too. Can they get arrested?
linda907178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: Arizona Age of Consent

The age of consent in AZ is 18. None of the defenses apply as he knows her age and he's more than 24 months older.

So yes, he can be arrested and wind up a registered sex offender for the rest of his life. Parents who knowingly allowed a sexual relationship can also be held criminally responsible.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
sandyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda907178 View Post
My son just turned 18. His long time girlfriend is becoming 16 in 2 months. Can he get arrested as a sex offender? What is the legal age of consent in Arizona? Can I get arrested too? She sometimes sleeps over at my apt.
They also stay at her house too. Can they get arrested?
As goddess has stated, now that your son is a legal adult, he risks jail and a sex offender charge if he engages in sexual conduct with his long-time girlfriend. If you allow it or condone it under your roof, you can be held criminally liable as well, especially since you are well-aware that the the girl is under the legal age of consent.

Why on earth would you allow your 18-year-old to have a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old child? The best thing you can do is sit him down and treat him like the adult he now is by warning him that his conduct is unlawful, and that you will not allow it in your home. What he does outside your home is HIS business. If her parents are condoning the relationship, you need to tell them as well that they are contributing to the delinquency of a minor if they allow it to go on under THEIR roof as well.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
sunlover
Top Level Member

Just because hes 18 now does not mean he cannot be charged for any offense prior to that age. If you have knowledge of the unlawful actions you too can be charged with crimes and possibly lose any children in your care. Sex with a minor is unlawful at any age and he could be charged as a adult.
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyclaus View Post
As goddess has stated, now that your son is a legal adult, he risks jail and a sex offender charge if he engages in sexual conduct with his long-time girlfriend. If you allow it or condone it under your roof, you can be held criminally liable as well, especially since you are well-aware that the the girl is under the legal age of consent.

Why on earth would you allow your 18-year-old to have a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old child? The best thing you can do is sit him down and treat him like the adult he now is by warning him that his conduct is unlawful, and that you will not allow it in your home. What he does outside your home is HIS business. If her parents are condoning the relationship, you need to tell them as well that they are contributing to the delinquency of a minor if they allow it to go on under THEIR roof as well.

I just don't think 15 and 18 is that far apart in many cases.
Heck the wild west would never have been tamed if we had those crazy laws back then.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #6
Unregistered

But thanks for info anyway y'all.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Lexus
Top Level Member

Individuals aged 17 or younger in Arizona are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape. Arizona statutory rape law is violated when an individual has sexual intercourse with a person under age 18. Those who break the law have committed statutory rape. Statutory rape laws are premised on the assumption that minors are incapable of giving informed consent to sexual activities. Their incapacity is written into the statute—hence the term, “statutory” rape. Though statutory rape does not require that the prosecutor prove an assault, it is still rape. Of course, rape that does involve force or an assault is illegal in Arizona and prosecuted as forcible rape.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Highwayman
Top Level Member

All of you idiots are responding to a 7 year old thread.

I guess you don't read.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just don't think 15 and 18 is that far apart in many cases.
Heck the wild west would never have been tamed if we had those crazy laws back then.
I agree with you.
Don't listen to the oldies.