Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Trials and Sentencing

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
dash den
dash den's Flag is: United States

Default Sentencing for third traffic ticket in three months

Can i give evidence at somebody's sentencing (or trial) for a third traffic ticket in 3 months in NY?
Specifically I mean even if nobody asks me to be there?
dash den is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Sentencing for third traffic ticket in three months

You mean go to the courtroom and when the proceedings start interrupt them and say "I want to testify"?

No, it doesn't work that way.

You'll have to get the defendant to let the court know in advance that he has a witness that he wants to testify. Then you can be called to the stand, get sworn in, and testify.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Exactly what evidence will you be providing?

And how is it relevant that this person is a persistent violator?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

A traffic ticket is a notice issued by a law enforcement official to a motorist or other road user, indicating that the user has violated traffic laws. Traffic tickets generally come in two forms, citing a moving violation, such as exceeding the speed limit, or a non-moving violation, such as a parking violation, with the ticket also being referred to as a parking citation, or parking ticket. You can give evidence at some somebody’s sentencing (or trial) provided that you are entrusted/appointed by the motorist or other road user to deal with his case. Further, you can submit the evidence before the court if you have been chosen as witnesses who were present at the time of violation by the motorist or other road user. If you wish to present evidence, such as documents, photographs or diagrams, you must fully identify the object introduced and tell the court how and when you obtained it. If you are appearing before the court in any of the manner mentioned above, it is the discretion of the court to give you 3 months for submitting evidence.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Traffic tickets generally come in two forms...
No, they do NOT come in two forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
...it is the discretion of the court to give you 3 months for submitting evidence.
Total nonsense. Where do you get this from??

Please stop commenting about NY law. And tell your friend AFFA the same thing. Neither one of you knows anything about New York Law, ESPECIALLY traffic laws and criminal procedure.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote