Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Attorneys and Legal Ethics

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
ponyislandgirl

Can you sue a law firm?

Last July I contacted a company about consolidating my debt. A Law firm got back to me, said they were debt negotiators. I read all the info they sent me, talked it over with my husband and decide we would go this route to pay off our bills more quickly. I took everything they had told me to be fact. Unfortunately it wasn't. I think I've been scammed.

They told me no more dealing with credit card companies, no more annoying and harassing phone calls, my debt would reduce to approximately 65% or more of what I currently owe, my monthly payments would reduce, leaving me with more money in my pocket. I would be retaining the services and experience of a well respected law firm. My attorney would deal directly with my creditors legal department not the collections department.

This is all a crock. I started paying them $749 a month starting in 9/07. Then in October I refinanced my home and paid off a couple of debts so that changed my payment to $316 a month for 36 months. They have not negotiated 1 debt as of today but take my money monthly.

I have to go to court on 7/19/08 if they do not settle with one of my creditors and I know this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I really thought they would negotiate with my creditors. I don't want to be a deadbeat. We've had a few rough times and got behind and I just wanted to settle my debts. Now I have like 5 to 8 creditors acting as if I could care less about their payments. They don't even go to court with me. I have to miss a days work and pay to go to court for something I thought they would be handlling.

Is this malpractice? False advertising? Is there anything I can do legally? Or should I just cut my losses and find a bankruptcy lawyer and do the thing I wanted to avoid. An advise or guidance is greatly appreiated.
ponyislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can you sue a law firm?

You still need to deal with the creditors unfortunately (or force the firm to do so) but you can take action against the firm if they did not keep to the agreement that you signed with them. You could file a Bar complaint, sue in small claims or even sue in regular court if they did not do what was agreed.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
krazypepsi

Hello I am aunt of two boys Nephews. I have question to ask everyone whos right??? ok at the beginning we got new lawyer and we were processing about my nephews are not happy with their real mom who abused them, boys complained that they wanted to live with their dad. since lawyer kept postpone to have boys testify against their mother, and tell court that boys want to move back to their dad. somehow laywer kept avoid and went to san jose,ca for another attorney in there. he send thelady who is lawyer she forced my brother to sign paper to let boys stay with their mother even judge and lawyer ingored boys suffered and one of my nephew kept saying he want to sucide himself. we kept tell him dont ever think about it. Itold them that I disagreed with lawyer offer which they dont caare about boys unhappy abused by their mother.should I get new attorney who are listen to boys desire, and judge listen? We live in Red Bluff, ca Please let me know thanks.

Should we sue the lawyer for ingore our help?
Who is right?
krazypepsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazypepsi View Post
Hello I am aunt of two boys Nephews. I have question to ask everyone whos right??? ok at the beginning we got new lawyer and we were processing about my nephews are not happy with their real mom who abused them, boys complained that they wanted to live with their dad. since lawyer kept postpone to have boys testify against their mother, and tell court that boys want to move back to their dad. somehow laywer kept avoid and went to san jose,ca for another attorney in there. he send thelady who is lawyer she forced my brother to sign paper to let boys stay with their mother even judge and lawyer ingored boys suffered and one of my nephew kept saying he want to sucide himself. we kept tell him dont ever think about it. Itold them that I disagreed with lawyer offer which they dont caare about boys unhappy abused by their mother.should I get new attorney who are listen to boys desire, and judge listen? We live in Red Bluff, ca Please let me know thanks.

Should we sue the lawyer for ingore our help?
Who is right?
If you file your post separately, you are likely to get more answers -- and on point, rather than posting in someone else's with a different set of circumstances.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote